Free testing engines

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zebulebu, Mar 29, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Does anyone know of an open-source testing engine that allows you to create a list of questions with possible answers and present that to a group of people - like in a certification exam? Something like Visual Cert Exam?

I've used this in the past, but don't want to pay for a licence for it because I know its regularly used by dumpers and I don't much fancy the idea of funding something that is used almost exclusively by cheats! I have a requirement to knock up some tests for the research team at my work so that we can gauge the effectiveness of our training regime and, rather than do it on paper, I'd like to make it a proper online exam (for those not familiar with VCE it allows you to create exams similar to what you'd see in a testing centre) so that its nice and easy to invigilate, and there's little paperwork involved. it doesn't have to have any bells and whistles - all it needs to have is the ability to display the question and a list of multiple-choice answers to select from - i.e.:

Code:
    Q - What is your favourite colour?

A - Red
    B - Orange
    C - Yellow
    D - Black
    Anything Open Source would be great - I've asked the devs at work to look at it but they're snowed under in the middle of a brutal release cycle so just don't have the time. if anyone has any pointers I'd be very appreciative! :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know of any. When Josh and I were starting BrainBeacon, we basically came down to two options: code our own, or use VCE. Everything else pretty much sucked.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cheers Mike. I think I'm gonna go with VCE, simply because I can't find anything else out there that does what I need. Meh - at least they can be proud that their product has some legit uses!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Have you looked into the QuizSchool at ProProfs? You can design your own public or private quizzes, customize them to your liking, and even embed them into your own sites. Very versatile. It's a free resource and probably one of the best of it's kind available.

5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Have you looked at Survey Monkey?? Whilst it isn't a standalone application, it may do want you want - the missus uses it for her work.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293