Free IT Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tripwire45, Mar 18, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm not one to promote stuff but I've signed up for a couple of free online courses provided by HP. I've just taken the first of six lessons on two subjects so I don't have a good handle on how effective these tutorials are. I'll let you know. If you want to take a look anyway, go to:

http://www.hplearningcenter.com/

Like I said, the trainings are free and they seem to provide a pretty good variety. I don't know if the experienced tech would find them useful (we'll see, I guess) but the beginner could at least get their feet wet...and the price is right.

I'm taking Linux 101 and Building web applications with PHP and MySQL. The first Linux lesson was more or less a history lesson coupled with some info on the differences between Open Source and FSF. I didn't realize that they were at odds with each other to such a degree. They also went through the definition of a "kernel" and how the major distros vary. Not too challenging at first...at least not if you have some familiarity with Linux.

The PHP and MySQL class was more of an eye opener for me but I have absolutely no experience with either. Prior experience with HTML is presumed (which I don't really have but can fake) and I have to admit, though I'm about the farthest thing from a programmer you can get, I am interested in how the course will play out.

Each class is six lessons and new lessons are posted on Mondays and Thursdays, so this is a 3 week commitment. After each lesson, you are presented with a short quiz and an assignment. You also can interact with the instructor and the other students in a small discussion board. Very helpful for picking up additional hints and details.

I'll keep you posted as things progress. There is an advanced Linux class after 101 and I'll probably take it too. Who knows...maybe an old dog can learn new tricks. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

actually, i did a HP SAN fundementals one and it was pretty bloody handy back then :)
    was very pleased with my 'free course' :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0