Free ISO converter????

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex399, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I'm looking to put some videos onto a DVD to play on quite an old DVD Player now since this DVD player is quite old it doesn't take Divx format and many others, I'm pretty sure it just plays ISO (Image files) from a disc.

I know how to copy files from a DVD (from an ISO format) to whatever the desired format Divx, MPEG 4 etc
    I also know how to copy ISO files straight from a DVD to another DVD, pretty straight forward really.

Now what I'm trying to do at the moment and have had no success is be able to convert standard video file formats to an ISO Image file to put onto a DVD so it can play on pretty much any DVD player you put it into no matter how old it is.

My friend who knows alot about software in general has told me that you will be very lucky to find a free program on the internet that has the ability to convert to that format, he said you are most likely going to need to buy a program to do that.

Yes you guessed it :D I'm still looking for that "free software" as I beleive you can get almost any type of software/game on the internet for free.

Anyone know of names of Software Vendors that makes these types of programs or more importantly of any "Freebies" out there that can do this??????

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  2. Ubergeek

Ubergeek Bit Poster

Would this be any good?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avi2dvdiso/

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2K3
    WIP: VCP, MCSE 2K3 (Security)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not download a free trial of nero to do change ISO to avi

you convert ISO to .avi and sometimes (not all the time) you can cheat the dvd players by just changing the .avi extension to .divx I have done it lots of times allthough some just don't like it when you do that.

There are loads of apps that you can get for free to convert .iso to .avi and apps that let you do.avi to .divx some work and don't produce good quality some do produce good quality.

I just can't think of what I use at the minute to do it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You will still have issues with the files if all you do is create an ISO of them, what you need to do is transcode the media to a standard VOB based dvd (generic dvd media format rather than avi (xvid\divx etc).

You really will need a media conversion tool like Roxio or Nero to do this properly.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

This maybe no good to you for what your trying to do but will post this anyway...

http://www.youconvertit.com/ConvertFiles.aspx

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is the video converter I'm using at the moment, link.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

This one looks promising will let you know how I get on with this!

cheers :D

I already have software that converts ISO files to whatever the desired format be such as .avi .divx .mpeg4 etc
    but I am looking for a program to do Vice Versa, convert a standard video file format to ISO which for some reason I failed to come across, then It did occur to me that these programs really do encourage film piracy but as far as I'm concerned theres nothing illegal about advertising these programs online.

8. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I already have this converter as well but I use it for downloading music off youtube using download helper in firefox then converting it to MP3 :D

I tried using it converting standard video file formats to an ISO Image but it doesn't seem to support that file type

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can... but that's called "piracy". And if I remember the Rules and Guidelines of this forum correctly, that sort of discussion isn't encouraged here.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep you can get anything on the internet, you should know this by now. The question is is it morally right to do it? I'll let you decide.

would you use braindumps to get your cert? I suspect you wouldn't but what is difference between copying a movie and cheating to pass your exams? nothing. it is the same.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?