1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foundry switch - CLI access

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Apr 27, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Long shot here I know, but does anyone use/has anyone used in the past Foundry switches? I have inherited a nice big backbone switch from a clearout at work and want to put it into my network at home, but can't seem to telnet into it. No matter what I try - every combination of baud rate, bitrate, flow control, parity and stop bits fails. All I want to do is get into the sumbitch to wipe the config on it - if I could even see the CLI to interrupt the bootloader it would be a start - I could figure it out from there, but I'm not even getting over the hump.

Foundry are being spiteful about giving me a support login - unsurprising since the switch is well out of warranty and we replaced all our core with HP last year :rolleyes:

Anyone got any experience/suggestions?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We have had some Foundry kit at work. I'll ask around tomorrow.

Model number would probably help.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Long shot but has the telnet port been changed on the switch? Had a similar problem with yet another undocumented network I inherited when I couldn’t get access to a managed switch. Didn’t know the username and password for the web interface so I tried to telnet into it, no joy with various configs. Ran a port scan on the switch and only port 4000 was open (weird!), changed the telnet port and got straight in! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cheers guys

Sparks - pretty sure the telnet port is the same as it was, I'm going to portscan it when I get the chance.

Harry - its a Bigiron 4000 chassis, management module is B8GMR3-A

Cheers!

5. hbroomhall

One of the experts here says that the most likely reason is that you are using a rollover cable. You need to unroll it, i.e. use a straight though cable.

Apparently this is the major difference between Foundry and Cisco.

Harry.

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Harry - cheers, I've tried a rollover and a straight through with nish success, so its not that.

7. hbroomhall

8. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've used Foundry switches, but the Telnet worked for me just fine. Can't remember if I had to enable it, but if so, it's similar to enabling it on Cisco's IOS.

When consoling instead of Telnetting, some of the higher-level switches DO require a different console cable from the Cisco one... I just used the cable included with the switch, so I am unsure of the pinout. All I know is that I had to mark that as my "Foundry" cable to distinguish it from my Cisco cables.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!