Foundation Degree In Computing

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Woobadger, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Woobadger

Woobadger New Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking at beginning a career in IT - I don't know specifically where but I do enjoy fixing people's problems and have enjoyed creating databases in the past.

I've come across a foundation degree in computing at my local college - the cost is £1700/year and consists of the following:

YEAR 1:
    1. Work Based Learning Project 1
    2. Computer Programming 1 (Java, C++)
    3. Logical Foundations
    4. Internet Business Applications and, in addition,
    Personal Development Programme

YEAR 2:
    1. Work Based Learning Project 2
    2. I.T. Organisation and Deployment or
    3. Internet Database Systems Development or
    4. Visual Programming and, in addition, Case Study Week

It's 2 days a week p/t but after these 2 years I can study for an additional year to obtain a degree.

What I really want to know is: Is this course worth doing?

If it's not - then what should I do? I'm having a real hard time with it all at the moment so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Woo Badger

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you want to be a programmer?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Foundation degree is just that... a degree. Granted it's not as high as the BSc/BA, in fact it sits at the same level as a HND, but it's a recognised degree with it's own post-nominals (FdSc/FdA) none the less.

Is it worth doing? I would say yes, even if it is geared up towards mostly software engineering - however looking at the modules, not all of them are programming ones.

If you want to enter the support area of IT, then along with the Foundation Degree, look at the:

A+, Network+ & the MCDST

If you want to enter the DB area of IT to become a DBA, along with the Foundation Degree, look at the:

CMA cert from MySQL

And so on and so on... I would advise not only to look at the "now" but also your future :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Woobadger

Woobadger New Member

Thanks for the help Ken, I'll keep all that in mind. Very difficult to know where to start! Might just go blindly into it and hope for the best!!!

5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I've got a foundation degree in E-Business and found it good to do but with this course as pointed out it seems heavily geared towards programming so make sure that you want to go down this route and that you have an interest in that area otherwise you may struggle to take it in. My brain doesn't work like a programmer so for me this wouldn't be a good option.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Woobadger

Woobadger New Member

There's also a foundation degree in computing and networking - perhaps this would give me better scope at the end of it? Thanks guys.

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Maybe, however in all the IT jobs I have never see one advertised with a specific degree, if they do state a degree, they have all stated a Computer related degree (or something along those lines).

What it boils down to is which degree has the modules that you're more interested in, this will help you get that bit of paper at the end.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security