Found work in Asia - Finally!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by skulkerboyo, Mar 29, 2011.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hello there

Long one this and I've had a beer so rambling at times.

Some of you may remember me. Most probably don't. Well I was an unqualified person looking to break into I.T. when I stumbled on certforums way back. Back then my aspirations were simple. Get away from working in Security/building management and into I.T. Somewhere I felt I belonged owing to my love of all things electronic and knack for solving complex problems.
    I eventually landed a job with a great company in a second line position. At this time I was only rocking an A+ and a MCP (70-270). It was more enough though.
    After a few years my partner, being half Chinese and half English but not looking particularly like she came from either place, decided she'd like to go back to Taiwan as a good chunk of her family was there and she'd finished her education. The economy was tanking. Weather was crap and all the usual ex pat grumbles. I though long and hard about it.

Asia was big on my list of places to visit but I never really wanted to just visit. I really wanted to soak it up. Taiwan, China, Japan, Malaysia and on and on. We had friends all over Asia as well that we had always promised to visit. I figured living there would be the best way to see as much as possible but it would be risky and emotional leaving the Shire!

This did mean leaving the security of my job. My salary and benefits. My family and friends and worst of all. My beloved Cider!

So we saved extra aggressively to cover us for the long haul in case employment proved tricky, booked tickets and handed in our notices.

She got lucky and landed a job within a few months. Fortunately things being as they are in Taiwan, a foreigners salary goes a long way (another reason we could justify coming. The ability save at twice the rate we could in the U.K. even if we got fairly average jobs). I wasn't so lucky as her so soon.

Oh, I got there eventually. Hence this post but it was very bleak at times. Had it not been for very good friends I had made here I would have gone insane and given up.

I applied for anything and everything that came up on the job sites that had even a slight technical aspect to it. I had a few enquiries from people as well but once they realised my Mandarin was mediocre they'd stop pursuing an interview.

Mandarin is hard. I've been studying for some time but unless you are here in the thick of it every day it's easy to fall into some bad habits as far as pronouncing the tones go. Some Mandarin students don't even try as the use of Pinyin forces people to foolishly assume they can read a phrase book phonetically. For example my favourite breakfast item is called "Dàn bǐng". Those squiggles indicate the tone you should use for the word. Say it wrong and you're telling a bleary eyed breakfast vendor that may not have seen a Foreigner in years, let alone have one come into his breakfast shop to buy food. Well basically you find yourself unwittingly telling him in a slow idiot voice that you want to join the army. Possibly with cheese if he has any.

I am improving and you would think that having a fluent girlfriend would help but she wants the easy life when she gets home and my local friends all want to practice English for free. Ah well. I'll be enrolling in a language school soon so that should iron out any wrinkles.

Anyway - I finally got an interview for an English speaking support role and they were very happy with me. After 3 interviews and one final impromptu one they arranged just to be sure that they were sure:eek: I got the offer.

Then the agonising wait as they apply for the work permit (all the while I had been living here on savings, my girlfriends earnings and doing a a visa run every three months).

The permit was approved a couple of days ago and now I can apply for a residency visa which in turn means I can do normal people things. Like get a phone contract or apply for a driving licence or many other things that you don't really think about when in your native land but can do quite easily.

I start next week in a very international team as what appears to be localised 3rd line support with a bit of technical marketing work thrown in for good measure. There looks to be lots of room to grow and some travel as well. The best thing though was meeting my team today and spending a couple of hours getting an impromptu tour from my new manager. A very friendly bunch and as they are mostly foreigners in that department a lot more relaxed than the other floors.

I was optimistic coming here. Then I was, to be brutally honest, almost suicidal at my sense of worthlessness in this country after fruitlessly job hunting for so long.

I'm back to optimistic again. I've fallen in love with Taiwan in such a short space of time and would hate to have had to leave.

One thing I learned from all of this and my first ever I.T. job hunt which had some very similar highs and lows. Persistence pays off. Truly it does

As long as your not mental that is! All you "Newbs" and veterans of the job hunt, stick at it. Please

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Thanks for the story, it is inspiring to a newbie like me.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Great news man, sounds like sticking at it really paid off. Hope the job is what you expect it to be!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats! Glad you made it happen! I know it can get really tough at times, especially in a new country.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats mate! Great write-up! And thanks for sharing!

All the best in the new job, new environment and so on.

Stapleton Road is going to miss you :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on finding a job out there. Your story has really given me a lift as a newbie starting out on the road in IT and hopefully I will find the right position for me after I finish my A+ N+ and one of the Microsoft Cert's.

Anyway good luck for the future hope all goes well.

Regards

Rob :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats.

Hope that the job turns out to be all that you want it to be and that you pick up the lingo.

8)

8. rayox

rayox Bit Poster

Really good story gives newbies like me and other on this forum some hope that a IT career is possible, if you stick at it and congrats on finding a job out there as it must of been hard :)

Certifications: none
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Great post, very encouraging to anyone thinking of emigrating or just trying to find gainful employment. All the very best for the future mate!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Echo wat has been said above mate, really well done.

Above all mate, stay in touch and tell us how you get on. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. skulkerboyo

Cheers guys

I'm still trying to decide which was harde though. Getting my first I.T. job back home or getting one here. Similar timescales involved if you discount all the study for certification.

Guess the message is that even when it seems so utterly bleak and you can't even face getting out of bed just keep pushing. There might be some hope just round the corner.

@lukep Not sure I'll be missing the "tun" though. Used to live right off it. Spent more time than I'd care to admit rocking out in Tasties after a sess at the Star as well. It was a good road for fried chicken and beer at any hour of the day though.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol, stapleton road - scary old place at times!!

Cracking write up - enjoyed reading that. all the best in Asia :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  13. skulkerboyo

Cheers gents

Gonna hit the gym then maybe a bar to celebrate.

14. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

I echo everyone else here. Congratulations on the achievement and a definite inspiration to those (including myself) who are still struggling to get the foot in the IT door.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3