Found PC

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 15, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I just went to the local recycle dump, and I found a pc its a bit damp but he hard drive and floppy disk drive look ok.

I dare not plug it in incase it explodes and shorts my house plugs, do you think I could salavage any parts.

The ram is missing and it still has its cpu its an amd its an AMD sempron I think definetly a sock 754.

The cpu looks burnt out and there is more dust on the heatsink than in my house.

Do you think I should take out the hard drive, if I do and install it in my comp could it cause damage if its got wet inside.

Its also still got a net gear wireless NIC

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Harddisks can be pretty resilient, I knew someone that kicked his around the room once and plugged it back in and it still worked. Of course it might have a few bad sectors, just have a look, I expect its probably got loads of data still on it, lucky you've got it and it hasn't been sent to Nigeria...:biggrin

The hard drives a modern version of the winchester drive, its vacuum sealed, all you have to worry about is that the controller circuit works. The waters probably minimal leave it to dry near a radiator !

Wireless nics are what £5-£10, yep it should be fine, just let it dry.

3. greenbrucelee

I will take the hard drive its only 40GB but it might come in handy one day. Personally i think the mobo and psu have shorted, they look slighhtly brown in places

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes well often its been thrown because its not really worth much to most people. I've still got a load of slow old SCSI drives.

Yeah you could mess with the Mobo, PSU and CPU, chances are at least one of them is duff otherwise it wouldn't be at the tip. Most people would prob get replacement PSU if poss, so yeah I'd say mobo or CPU knackered, since they need to be matched not much use unless your the sort that likes to collect 10 dead PC's on the hope of creating one ok one...

Its not always possible to see a damaged component these days, IC's often theres no sign, broken tracks in mobos hard to find, burnt out capacitors or resistors prob it, with current prices for electronics components its barely worth even diagnosing let alone fixing.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i'd just remove all the components and let is dry out for a few days... and then test them on a spare comp, if you have one

6. greenbrucelee

I have just removed the IDE hard drive, I must see if my mobo would take it if I fit it, I am just gonna go back to the tip and take the comp back minus the hard drive and cables

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What kind of a hard drive is it? like the size, brand?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Personally, i'd leave it there the price of hardware these days!

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. greenbrucelee

I know what you mean, but free is good:D

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

"the best things in life are free" :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

just because its wet doesn't mean its damaged, the damage is only done when it gets wet when its turned on. dry it out, clean it up and give it a test and looks like you got your self some freebies :rocks

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  12. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Personally I'd dump it back where it came from. You have no idea if any of the components are going to wipe out the working machine you already have!!!:cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Get the HDD dried out and installed, then get searching for credit card details. Yer onto a winner, baby !! :tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Just so u know I was born in Nigeria and my whole family are Nigerians...dont tar us all with the same brush my friend :biggrin lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

In fact I remember when I was about 19yrs old. I found a PC in skip once...took it home and tried (emphasis on the "tried") to hide it from my parents in my room. However, my mother found it and went totally (excuse the pun) spare. It was a pretty decent looking PC but getting rid of it wasnt nice for me :(

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Take the cables and any parts you can use, from what you have said it looks like the PC has had some problems!

I recently chucked my old 15’ monitor (max res 800x600!) at the local recycle dump and I was pointed at the area designated for old computer equipment. I turned the corner and there was loads of base units lined up, most of them looked in good condition and there was a range of P2 and P3 units there.

My immediate thought was “test LAN for the flat” and I was ready to take a few home, then the wife gave me the “you *have* to be kidding me” look so I ended up leaving them.

Got my revenge though as I picked up a few old PCs from work a few days later, hee hee! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

at the end of the day its all experience, its how it learnt i was forever taking things to bits to see how it works and i still do :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640