Formal Telephone Interviews

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dazza786, Oct 28, 2009.

1. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Anybody had them?

Any advice?

I'm kindof thinking to hold back in this as I'm sure there's going to be another interview (face to face) which would be more beneficial to 'WOW' in..

Only telephone 'interview's i've had in the past have been informal.. a brief 'oh tell me abit more about u etc' and then a 'yeah come down for an interview'... but i've been 'formally invited' for this one so i'm a bit wary as to what to do?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A few over the years as the initial interview before being put forward for the second (in person) interview.

Just take it as it comes mate and give it as a much respect as a “proper” interview.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Yeah I will; My only thoughts are, I don't want to be compared to another person who has pulled a few things out of his toe in the formal f2f interview and impressed the interviewer, when i've thrown most in in the telephone interview.. as in 'yep, heard this before'
    Obviously i'm gonna see how it goes, but i was just wondering regarding the formality.. is it a quick chat or is it an actual pre-assessment? If it's a pre-assessment, what are they looking for to enable you for a f2f?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It depends. After one phone interview I was told I was going to be put forward for the face to face interview.

In the phone interview I was asked to expand on a couple of projects I have noted on my CV and then a few more questions on experience on certain products. I think I was asked if I was willing to travel or not as well.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, been on both sides of them.

Yep - be yourself, just like you would in a face-to-face interview.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends totally on the company. They are as varied as the companies giving them.

At the risk of sounding flippant - which is not my intent - they're looking for the things they're assessing. Again, they could be looking for qualities that are completely different than the company next door is looking for.

Just be yourself. If you are the best fit for the job, it will be yours. If not, then there will be other jobs out there.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Manunemp

Manunemp Bit Poster

I've had a telephone interview once and he just phoned out of the blue so I couldn't prepare. He asked me to answer his questions by explaining situations at work in the past to demonstrate what I did, which is fine if you can think quickly, but when you need time to think it can be a nightmare.

I hate phone interviews, I'm much more comfortable when I can see a face. With technology that we have now, you can easily have interviews over skype.

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I've had a couple, one was just in informal chat about experience etc the other was a technical discussion and I had to answer 10 questions, nothing major though - things like What is NAT, when would it be used and why. How would you reset a password on a local account? that sort of thing.

Just be yourself and good luck :D

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  9. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I've had a few in the past, most of them last around 1/2 hour and were based on competencies.

10. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

I'd recommend knowing your CV inside out, i've had a few and they just normally want to run through your work history and what sort of stuff you have been doing. Just be prepared to elaborate on what you have written down and give a few examples and you'll be fine.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma