For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called in Pros

Discussion in 'News' started by nugget, Jan 9, 2007.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called in Pros" />

For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called in Pros

When Microsoft introduces its long-awaited Windows Vista operating system this month, it will have an unlikely partner to thank for making its flagship product safe and secure for millions of computer users across the world: the National Security Agency.
    For the first time, the giant software maker is acknowledging the help of the secretive agency, better known for eavesdropping on foreign officials and, more recently, U.S. citizens as part of the Bush administration's effort to combat terrorism. The agency said it has helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan horses and other insidious computer attackers.

For the rest: Washington Post

I actually came across the info here at Heise, but as you lot don't understand German I followed their links to the above.
    * Better dust off those tin foil hats

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      The NSA gets a bad press (I guess providing non-existent 'intelligence' that leads your government to bomb some foreign land flat will do that for ya) but their IS stuff is fantastic.

On a related (but slightly different) note, I'm going to the annual MOD/M$ security summit in Whitehall at the end of this month (one of the perks of working for Law Enforcement is the cool conferences you get to go to). There are three streams to choose from when selecting your programme for the second day - I've chosen Vista and Exchange 2007 Security. Hopefully I'll have some juicy info from the event to post (NDAs permitting of course...)

I'm hoping they're going to go into the supposed security improvements in E2K7 - specifically the new version of Antigen - MS Forefront Security for Exchange (natty title - M$ marketing strikes again :rolleyes: )

I'm also keen on looking at the new support for non-password authentication (tokens, Biometrics etc) in Vista, and seeing whether Windows Defender in Vista is more than the half-assed crap M$ have come up with in the past to combat malware.

Should be fun, and lunch is thrown in :biggrin