For People Who Are Thinking Of Signing With A Training Provider...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by steevyp, Nov 18, 2010.

1. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

For anyone who wants to start a career in the IT industry and are thinking about signing with a training provider... DONT DO IT!!! Training providers are a massive waste of money. Try this instead...

http://www.ittraining2go.co.uk/comptia-aplus-certification-training-course/

...i have just bought this and I must say, the software is very very impressive indeed (i dont work for them I swear ;)). There is a free trial download on the website that you can look at.

I started a course with Advent Training for the CompTIA A+ exams and I just got a book and the option to travel hundreds of miles away for 2 days just so I can sit in a lab and exercise what I have learned in the book. I paid £5000 for it and didnt feel like I was getting anywhere with it. When Advent Training went bankrupt I bought the new 220-701 & 220-702 books and the above course for £175 which includes software that can test your practical skills in a virtual workshop AND teach you everything you need to learn in both text and video tutorials. This software is the best thing on the market and it is so easy to learn with this!

Again, if you ARE thinking of signing with a training provider, dont do it until you have tried this!!!

Good luck ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    WIP: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not all training providers are the same, I have been to Firebrand a number of times and have always been impressed.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

even so, I rate this software SO highly that you dont need a training provider, even if you have never touched a computer. Also, I would rather not pay the £3000 that firebrand are asking, not when I can just pay £175 for the Labsim software and get everything Firebrand offer 8)

4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

It looks like they are just resellers for the Test Out video series. Shop around you can get the same computer based training material elsewhere for a lot less.

edited to add. The Test Out series isn't bad though. A bit more interactive than some other vendors.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yeah, it's GTS learning.
    They sell the testout/labsim stuff.
    I've used it before and it is probably one of the best pieces of interactive teaching software I've come across. I'd certainly recommend it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not exactly, what an onboard course offer you is the ability to network with like minded people and to bounce ideas off each other. Certainly not something you can do with the Testout software.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree.

Also no matter how interactive the software is, it will not replace tutor who can answer your random questions and clarify things for you.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

yeah but you can just do that here on certforums :eek:

9. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

and this too. certforums is basically a network of tutors who can help you in whatever you need to know.

10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The point, is that you cannot dismiss TP courses out of hand. There are benefits, and scenarios where it is more appropriate to use a TP over some software.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Like for example CCNA courses.

Scenario:
    You've been told that next month you'll be rolling out new Cisco kit to replace ageing mix/match equipment in your company. You haven't got any Cisco experience what so ever but you're pretty sound on networking concepts. Obviously being very keen and pro-active person you decide that before the roll-out you want to get some understanding and practice on Cisco kit.

Options:
    You can buy and read books, use Packet Tracer (breaking Cisco's T&C's), read blogs and forums.

... or ...

You can sign up for a course with a training provider who will have a classroom full of kit which you can break/fix and play with. You will be shown how stuff works on live equipment which in a month time you will have to administer.

This is just an example scenario but I know if I were in such situation I'd rather go for option too as long as I could afford the training (or company was paying for it).

With training provider there is also a big chance that person running the course will share some tips and best practices from real world as opposed to official way of doing things.

As you can see there are benefits of both.

I personally think that every IT professional should be capable of making this decision on his own.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

i think the benefits depend on everyones personal circumstances. for instance, its pointless paying £3000 for a course when the nearest training centre is about 200 miles away. do the little extra benefits really justify the massive fees they charge? I personally dont think so, but like i said it depends on circumstance.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Whereas I personally do, I am a contractor and the selfstudy route simply doesn't work for me (I commute 4 hours a day and I have a family), it's far better that I stick with regimented and properly defined training than relying purely on reading a book or watching videos (trust me I have tried with CBTN, TS and Testout but still the onboard course work better for me).

Over the years I have spent 10's of thousands on training and it's been worth every damned penny.

14. Fergal1982

I agree. Personally, I'm useless at self-study, so im thinking that training based learning is better.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    We really need to have an alternative word for them.

Training Provider 1 - You sign up, pay £3k, get a couple of books in the post and wonder what to do next.

Training Provider 2 - You go to their premises, pay up to £1k and spend a week in their fully equipped training centre with hands on kit and qualified, experienced instructors. You probably get lunch included.

They are not the same thing.

I did my Prince2 and MSP in a classroom and don't begrudge them a penny.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Yep there is a clear difference to both.

I would never (most people in their right mind wouldn't) use TP1. But TP2 i have used as work sent me on the course, and in the future i would probably use TP2 if i felt it was of a benefit to me over going the self study route.

The last two courses i have done have been custom designed courses. Just this week i have been on one. We are replacing our global WAN infrastructure with Juniper routers, and so the consultant who designed the solution, flew over from Calgary and has ran a custom course for us. Great training and exactly what we needed.

Any other companies taken this route?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

Yeah I guess self study isnt for everyone. I would still recommend that they first try self study before they go to a training provider. Maybe they wont need a TP, whereas if they first sign up with a TP then they realise they could have just done it themselves then its a bit of an expensive lesson isnt it?! :biggrin

18. Fergal1982

Perhaps so, but I would prefer that we recommend to users that they spend some time to seriously, and objectively, weigh up the options against their own scenarios. This way, they can waste no money, by picking the best method, and the best resources for their budget accordingly - rather than rushing headfirst into purchases of anything (software or courses, or otherwise).

There is nothing wrong with advertising training software you have good experiences with. It helps broaden the possible avenues members can look into. But dont be one of these people who just spouts the SS spiel at the first whiff of someone asking for advice. Advice is only as good as thought going into providing it. TP's have their place, whether you personally like it or not. Look at what people are saying, and judge the merit of the possible resources you can advise on based on that, rather than a stubborn belief that people should try one method first. It doesnt always fit.

19. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

A book costs about £20 and the training software comes in a trial version so you dont have to pay any money. It just makes sense to try this first!!! If it works, great! If not, then you sign up for the best TP recommended.

20. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I agree with you.... but in your first post you said it's the best thing in the market... well it's the best thing in the market for YOU, it's not the best thing in the market for me. What suits one person won't suit the next.

You need to be clearer in your observations, certain types of training providers are bad (Advent) whilst others are decent (Global Knowledge, QAIQ, Firebrand etc). The type of training you're suggesting is great if people have fallen foul of the first type but in no way replace the abilities of the second type.

I just wish people wouldn't dump every single training provider in to the same bucket because there are differences.