For Dummies Books???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by AndyDev, Jan 22, 2009.

1. AndyDev

AndyDev New Member

Hi All,

I am just about to start studying for my N+ exam and i am gathering various course materials. was wondering the thos ''For Dummies'' books are worth reading. They seem quite light hearted and fun.

Would it be of any benifit to get these before starting into the serious studying or is best practice to just dive in??

Thanks in advance

Andy

Certifications: comptia A+
    WIP: N+, MCSA
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I used the A+ workbook one which was basically a boat load of questions - it was quite good fun. They are what you make them, I personally find the dummies books normally a little basic but if they are targeted at exams then they should be ok.

If you get on with them then go for it.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I haven't used the Dummies books myself, so I have no firsthand opinion of them. However, I have heard of people not doing well studying for certifications with other Dummies titles, so I'd be hesitant to use them, particularly when there are two absolutely solid Network+ books available with the Sybex (by Groth) and the All-in-One (by Meyers).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. AndyDev

AndyDev New Member

I had heard that the Sybex and the Myers training was very good. i will look into buying them definatley but thought that reather than doing hardcore studying i would ask about the Dummies books to see if they were beneficial and fun.

Thanks for the help guys.

Certifications: comptia A+
    WIP: N+, MCSA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I used one of the Dummies books for one of the MS exams on the 2000 track, from what I can remember it was ok. One thing that I would like to point out is that I do not only study from one source so I can't say if that book alone was the deciding factor to me passing that exam (as I always use at least 2 books, CBT's, practice exams, practical experience/knowledge, etc).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It may be "fun", but can you trust the information they are giving you is accurate? Ultimately, the goal of studying isn't so you can have a good time... it's so you can pass the exam and become a better tech. :)

If you want fun, get a movie. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I quite like the for dummies books as they tend to be a lot more lighter reading than big technical books. They however not enouugh to get you through an exam IMO, but they do give you enough to get you started in the right direction.

8)