Folder properties on Cluster taking 5 minutes to appear

Discussion in 'Software' started by derkit, Mar 6, 2012.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Evenin' all,

I'm posting this out of hope someone can shed some light on it - its a problem at work a number of us have battled over and have drawn a blank so far.

We have a 2000 Cluster with a NTFS file store on it containing just ordinary files/folders etc. and when right-clicking on a small or big folder (ie, size and location within folder structure irrelevant) from a 2003 TS session on a different server, it takes about 3-5 minutes for the Properties dialog box to open up to give the size of folder. If this is done locally on one of the cluster servers, no problems at all and it appears within seconds as expected.

This has been tested with the "virtual" cluster name, server name and IP address and results are the same.

I've repeated this from a couple of other server that have TS installed on them and get the same results. I've used Network Monitor to see what is going on, and hundreds of megs of data is being pulled across to the TS, and from what I can see it is information on ACLs, file/folder properties on *ALL* of the objects on the shared drive of the cluster, including objects that aren't related to the original Property box request.

Repeating this process from the TS to another non-cluster server doesn't have the same affect at all and the properties box appears as expected.

Any thoughts on settings etc. that could be affecting it in the cluster region or elsewhere?! We are a bit lost at the moment.

As a side thought, I believe we've tried this with command line and the delay isn't the same - but this could be a red herring and I'll need to try again tomorrow.

Thanks guys 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

New update: getting ACL via CACLS command line is instant

Also found that is only affects access a 2000 2-node cluster from a 2003 server.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293