Flying to Redmond

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jun 28, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I figured I'd start a new thread of my "adventures" getting ready to go to Redmond for a job interview with Microsoft. Here's the link to the saga thus far:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread17451.html

I just got an email from the interview coordinator and omigawd, this is involved. I won't include all of the info since I don't know if Microsoft would appreciate their internal process being posted on a public website, but I'll put up a few highlights.

First off, I was asked to provide several different dates I could be available to fly up for the interviews (plural, because there will be several). It seems that a national holiday (the 4th of July) doesn't make much of an impact on their scheduling since they'd like this done in just over a week if possible.

Apparently, there will be lots and lots of documentation I'll need to access over the web after an interview date is set. It seems like there's quite a build up to all of this and it also seems that the interviews are an all day affair.

I get the impression that there is going to be an "in-depth probe" into my experiences and talents. I don't think this'll be like any interview process I've ever experienced before. I'm not sure even how to prepare.

It'll be easier once I have some sort of phone conversation with the coordinator...at least I think it will. So far, everyone's been very friendly and interactive and I guess the starkness of the latest email just got me off balance a bit.

I'll keep you posted.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

You're a Winner, Trip. (note the capital, and I don't mean the T).

I wanted to say more.

But the first statement stands up all by itself.

8)

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the news mate. This could be 'the one'. :D

Good luck with the interviews. I'm sure you won't have any problems mate. :thumbleft

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Best of luck mate, keep us posted! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Big congrats on this trip, fingers crossed :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done James - you can do it! :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Trip i been missing from the scene recently and i just been catching up with this - Congrats mate and all the best in Redmond! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey Trip, thats great news congrats and good luck with the interview.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good luck Trip, hope it works :D for you

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations and good luck with the interview!

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Since I'm recordng my experience of applying for a job at Microsoft, I thought I'd include this part, since it's pretty important. Considering this position means considering relocation to the Redmond area. We have to take a look at what we want to do with the house we own here, how that translates into housing in the Redmond area, cost of living, lifestyle, and all that other jazz. We have a financial adviser (actually, this is the first time I've ever met him...normally the missus handles all this stuff) and we set up a 7 a.m. meet with him to discuss all this. He's very bright and also really friendly and funny, which helped take the edge off the enormous aspects of the decision we are trying to make.

The single most helpful thing he offered was the idea of taking a worksheet in the interview with me that outlines all of my financial/cost-of-living concerns, putting the ball in the potential employer's court relative to smoothing the transition.

After all, having a larger base pay doesn't really help if I'm paying out a huge house payment every month (I don't have one now) and have to work an extra 15 years just to break even.

The missus and I will work out the details after I get home from work tonight. I'm starting to feel a little better about this part of the process now that I'm getting some context built in.

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

As part of the application process, I entered my resume and identifying data into Microsoft's careers database. I guess that's why I got the following email from a third party recruiter in the Redmond area. I took out certain identifying details just in case they have an issue with me posting this on a public website:
    It never rains but it pours.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Here it comes! I just got two emails with the information I'll need for the interview. I have another 30 minute phone interview scheduled this Friday and then the face-to-face is set for Monday the 9th (wow, that's soon!). I'll fill in the details as I can.

15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

woo hoo!

Would you like help bracing yourself?

*braces*

Good luck Trip - eagerly awaiting details!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Good luck mate.

I dont know if it helps, but I've heard about some interviews for coders with MS. Apparently the all-day interview is held with you being interviewed separately by several people - such as managers, people who would be working in your area, etc. From what I heard, each of these people have the capacity to Veto your application, and they will interview on various aspects.

I cant verify that this is entirely accurate, and it may be different for your field, but I thought id pass on what I'd heard anyway.

Good Luck!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck Trip!

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck trip :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Next step in the process is complete. The reservations are cemented. Unfortunately, the only flight I could get out of Boise Sunday is at 7:55 a.m., My my first interview isn't until 9 a.m. the following morning so I'll have some time to kill. Guess I can play tourist for the day.

Yeah...my flight to and from is being paid for just as is my rental car and hotel. I can submit any additional expenses (meals) after I get back home. I'll actually be in the Seattle area 72 hours from now. The clock is ticking.

20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good Luck mate:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?