Flush dns? For a changed website?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 6, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi, just a random question really that I would like to know the answer for.
    Recently Facebook has changed layout for a few of my friends but not for me, I tried the ipconfig /flushdns command
    As I think I read somewhere that the website can change but something todo with untill the dns is flushed you wont see the updated website?

I just used Facebook as an example not sure if they update each of the settings by each specific login. But if someone doesnt mind could you explain why some people can view an updated website and some can't. Also relating to any website not just Facebook.

Thanks in advance to anyone that answers,

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Maybe the settings in IE for Temorary Internet Files mean the new graphics aren't pulled down from the site? Try deleting the old Temp Int Files and that should resolve it.

DNS is do with which IP the FQDN points to, I'm not sure I can see a link - maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Edit - re-reading your post, a reason I can think of is that the site, lets say Facebook, has moved its web server, so your computer is holding an old DNS record and so points to an older version of the site (the one without the new graphics/design) on a different server. By clearing the DNS cache locally with ipconfig /flushdns the next time you go to the site your ISPs DNS server will point you to the new site.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Dave,

A flush DNS, clears out the all locally stored cache entries. For instance when you visit Facebook the friendly name is: www.facebook.com which actually resolves to: 69.63.189.21. The cache stores this IP address so it doesn't have to search for it again (it can only store a certain amount of addresses). If you flush the cache resolver it clears all these entries (apart from entries in your hosts file).

So, in short, no flushing you cache will not give you the newer Facebook.

Unless, as Derkit says they have moved to a new webserver for the new FB and the old webserver is still turned on.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My guess would be more towards a caching proxy server that's not being updated. Sometimes an ISP will use a caching proxy server to speed up serving http and it does't realise that the page has been updated.
    You 'should' be able to refresh it by forcing a refresh with the f5 but that's not guaranteed one.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. beaumontdvd

Hiya mate, yeah im aware DNS is FQDN to IP, i've read what you have wrote about the flushdns but tried it and it hasn't worked and cleared the temp folders, I thought it would be relating to both of them too. But it still doesnt work. But I guess that is the concept of it maybe Facebook do it differnt. Just trying to put what im studying into practice, Thanks for your help mate :biggrin

6. beaumontdvd

Thanks mate, that makes things a lot clearer. I new it was something to do with a modified website so it must only be if they move it to a differnt web server. Thats what I was looking for thanks both of you :D

Dave,

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Change your DNS Server to point to OpenDNS on 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.222

Some ISP's keep cached information for months on end.

OpenDNS updates a rapid, plus you can use it for web filtering etc as well. Not bad for a freebie.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Thanks craigie, I never knew that. :D

9. beaumontdvd

Thanks craigie didn't know that either :) tried it but didn't work for Facebook but I guess its good if your dns is down 8)

Cheers, Dave

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Facebook layouts have not changed for all, yet. Give it a little bit of time. A number of people from numerous locations are still reporting the old layout. It is gradually being phased in.

Nothing to do with flushdns this time around as far as I can tell.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM