Floppy Formatting Option

Discussion in 'A+' started by Fergal1982, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

In windows xp, and i believe some of the other OS's, in the format dialogue for the floppy drive is the option to 'Make MS-DOS Startup disk'.

being the curious type i am, i decided to whip out a clean floppy and plow ahead with said format. once it was complete, i found the floppy drive now contains all the essential basic system files (among others: command.com, io.sys, etc). great, thought i. a floppy disk that will most likely boot to the command prompt!

Wrong. to the best of my knowledge, its a disk which, when booted from, demands to know the location of command.com. despite telling it it was on the floppy, or in the root C: or even the root windows directory, it point blank refused to believe me it seemed.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? or perhaps tell me what its supposed to do, etc. especially in a system like xp which microsoft seems to be adamant that you can only create a bootdisk by downloading stuff from their website!

Fergal:rolleyes:

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

I have exactly the same problem. As you can see from a previous thread of mine, i cant format my hard drive because of this exact reason. ive been waiting weeks just to try and format a hard drive!

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+