Floppy drives near extinction

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Aug 14, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Floppy drives near extinction

A flash-drive maker has developed a device that can boot PCs

In a move that may speed the death of floppy disk drives, M-Systems on Tuesday said its USB flash memory storage device can now start a PC's boot-up process.

M-Systems said that if users plug the flash memory device into the USB port of a computer that has crashed and turn on the power, the machine will start to boot up. Booting up a computer loads an operating system into its main memory.

Full story

Tell us your opinion

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Luton Bee
      Luton Bee
      Outdated technology, insufficient capacity, unreliable media and drives. It still seems funny to view a system without one and I will miss them when they have gone completely.
    2. brent
      brent
      I'm with you on this one luton, cant really imagine computing without the good old floppy drive. Its saved my life a few time I can tell you. :singer
    3. flex22
      flex22
      I'm trying to fix my laptop at the mo.

Anyway one way of fixing it required me to go and buy some floppies.

I went to staples (you know, the big office supplies) on Saturday and couldn't for the life of me find any floppies.

I thought they musn't do them anymore because they must think they're outdated.

When I got to the counter and asked where are the floppies, the guy said:

"oh, we've not got any in, we've run out of stock, too many people asking for them"

I got them from somewhere else in the end but just shows you, no floppies left yet there were piles of CD-RW's still to be bought.
    4. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Floppies: cheap, easy, and familiar. Actually, I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said: "If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap, and easy". :D
    5. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      I was just reading a letter in a mag this morning that made a great point :

Just struck me as rather telling, don't you think ... :?: