Floppy drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Jan 14, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Bit of a problemo.

I have a boot disk in my other PC.I was using this for somehing with VMWare, but forgot to take the floppy disk out.
    So now when I switch the machine on, it starts booting into the floppy.I hit the BIOS config, but it doesn't go into the main boot screen, it just gives me the different options for booting with the floppy.
    The release button on the floppy drive isn't working very well either.Well, I press it, but it's not releasing the floppy.
    To get around this, I usually right-click the floppy icon and click eject, but obviously as I'm not in the OS, I can't do this.

What to do :?:
    :unsure

2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

The window of time that is given to enter the BIOS is someties very small, try repeatedly pressing the relavat key to enter BIOS as soon as the memory check starts and see if that gets you in.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

When I press F8 now, it brings me to the MS Windows 98 Startup Menu, then it has 6 options.

1. Normal
    2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
    3. Safe mode
    4. Step-by-step confirmation
    5. Command prompt only
    6. Safe mode command prompt only

These will not probably not help me.I press F8 loads of times but it just seems to just show these 6 options.

I'll have a few more goes.

4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

If you select normal doesn't it load windows ?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

F8 isnt for your bios its for windows boot options???

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

thats the Boot menu, you need to press the key that takes you into the BIOS, could be 'Del' or 'F5' or 'F2'

EDIT:Your too quick for your own good Si......or would that be me ??? :scratch

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Well, thought it was F8.

Anyway, I pressed Delete, and that seems to get me to some kind of boot menu.

I see that the first boot device is the CD Rom.That's ok, it bypasses the CD ROM when it see's that there's nothing in the CD drive, correct :?:

Because I can't get the floppy out of the drive manually, I have set the hd above the floppy drive in the BIOS order.

However, it still boots into the floppy drive.

The BIOS on this machine is strange looking.I'll keep exploring but any more advice is welcome.
    I'll try and disable the floppy drive somewhere in the BIOS, with a bit of exploring.

EDIT: :soz I was choosing HD-1, instead of HD-0.That using 0 rule gets me now and then.

So, it's sorted now.It's booted into XP Home.

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

glad you got it sorted Flex

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Not that it's a big deal, but you still probably have a minor mechanical problem with the floppy drive not ejecting diskettes. Sadly, probably the only fix is to buy a new drive and replace it. I had that problem with a brand new dell. I didn't notice it right away since I hardly use floppies on that machine. When I discovered it and was finally able to reach a human being at Dell's tech support, they were very good about sending me a new drive right away. Works like a charm.

The alternate solution to the problem you presented would have been to open up your machine and disconnect the power cable leading to the floppy drive. No power, no attempted boot. Since the CD drive was empty, the only other thing it would attempt to boot from would be HDD 0. Glad you got it worked out, flex. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Trip.You just reminded me to try and eject the floppy.I thought there was a way you could eject the floppy through the desktop.I mean a click an eject option.Can't seem to find it though.If it's not there and I have to do it manually by pressing the button (which aint workin) then I'm knackered.

The machine is made by Tiny and is now the grand old age of 2.In fact it happens to be it's birthday today, so all say happy birthday to my 1GHz, Celeron, 384MB RAM, 40GB hd, (no name) :D .

I hardly ever use the floppy drive.In fact I think I only first used it last month, so it's been left to rott basically.

I'll have to look into this.

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I cant recall ever seeing a windows system having the option to eject a floppy disc, You can however eject a CD by using the OS.

Mac Computers also have the option to eject floppies using the OS. A new Floppy drive would probably set you back less than a £10, the shop around the corner from me sells them for £7, I found a web site that sells them for £1.24, Unfortunatly there is a minimum order level of £50 and you have to be trade but thats easy to sort.

12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Because I have my laptop now, which doesn't have a floppy drive, it might be useful to buy an external floppy drive.
    This way, I can use it for both machines.

This is probably more expensive though.The reason why I opted out of getting a floppy drive with my laptop was becaue:

1: I hardly ever need to use a floppy drive.
    2: I thought I could use the floppy drive on my other computer, should I ever need to sue a floppy.

Just not sure really.Like you say Nelis, there's loads of little computer stores about, so I could pick a drive up for a few quid.But at the moment, I really have little need for one.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Interesting thread, for a couple of reasons -

You can't eject a floppy thru' the OS, as the floppy drive only has a mechanical eject, ie by pushing the button

Have a look in the BIOS for the "Disable Floppy seek" option, Flex - any itme I've tried to ignore the floppy in the boot sequence, it still checks it anyway, UNLESS you disable this.

Given how cheap (indeed practically free - shout if you want me to mail you an old one) I can't see the day when I could do without one on any of my machines

Just throwing these thoughts in - prob count for nowt :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity