Flickering red hue on screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fanatical, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Installed a new graphics card about 2 months ago and all went well except that the ATI catalyst software was slowing up boot and logging off. Got rid of it and installed just the driver software.

Now the blasted sacreen keeps on flickering with a red hue, almosy as if the blue pixels are flickering on and off leaving red the dominant colour (try adjusting the monitor so that it's red and thats what I get). seems to go on for a few minutes but then sorts itself out.

Have tried a previous driver but this didn't have mpeg decoders so re-installed the latest drivers whoch worked for a bit but now the problem has come back. I've adjusted the refresh rates and that doesn't seem to help. I even installed anew PSU recently so theres no power issueeither. The card is an ATI Rqadeon X1650 Pro with 256MB GDDR3 onboard. any clues?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

from what you have said I would check the monitor connections for loose cables, if thats not it then remove graphics card, put it in cardboard box and send it back from wence it came!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

have you tried turning it off and on again :tongue

try removing and replacing the card, checking the connections. have you made sure all the power connectors on the card are plugged it too ? did you download the latest drivers from ATI or installed it from the CD you got with the card ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

one thing you could do if you have a spare is try another vga card to see if the problem persists, if not its proberbly the graphics card at fault. as the drivers have been working ok for 2 months I have assumed its not them at fault unless you updated then imediatly prior to the fault occuring. the flickering I find is normally caused by a loose cable (I am also assuming that you have a TFT monitor) or iffy memory on the vga card.

grim is right it might well be card creep,

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you already tried the obvious step of switching out the monitor? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Swap monitor with what? I have no spare monitor so thats not really an option. I'll try the old card in there and see. The problem is the problem isn;'t on going. Soemtimes it'll befine and sometimes it'll be bad. I thought changning the refresh helped but in the end it went back to being dodgy...

7. BosonMichael

Time to get a cheapie 15" CRT, mate... you need spares of almost everything to be able to troubleshoot well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I totally agree. I've had a couple of these over the years and its ALWAYS been the cable/connection.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  9. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

when I get paid mate, when I get paid! :D I'm going to get some kit together at some point soon anyway so that I can do stuff in my spare time....

will report back my findings.

10. BosonMichael

People often give me their old equipment, so I've got a few just lying around...

...I'd give you one, but for the cost of getting here, you could probably get a 24" LCD. 8)

11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Have you checked for bent/broken pins in the vga monitor cable plug?

Cheers
    NB:)

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

in my experience most issues like this eminate from the monitor or associated cables, plugs and sockets. It's not usually the video card.

Having said that, it could be. Hence the need for a substitute monitor/graphics card, so you can isolate the problem by a process of elimination.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Are you sure you weren't on magic mushrooms when this flickering red hue appeared? :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You normally dont see any flickering its constant and a bit swirly:D

Back to problem

Is this just happening when you're playing games?

if so it could be the card can't handle the settings, you have on the game.

Another related problem is power supply, it could be your card is not getting enough power

or a combination of both.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?