Fitted my PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 13, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

So I fitted my new PSU Friday night and formatted the PC then reinstalled everything. Even though the PSU has 140mm fan its not any nosier than the PSU I had in my PC before which at a rough guess had an 80mm fan on it.

After running the Asus Probe software and Speedfan I have found that I have a 4% drop in the temperature of the CPU, its no wonder though as the fan from the PSU is over the Heatsink and fan on the PSU.

Also my motherboard temp is down, this could be due to the fact my new PSU is modular. For those of you who don't know with a modular PSU you are able to take of any cables not being used instead of them hanging around inside your case, which is a good thing because it improves airflow.

Whilst I was installing I had to take out one of my DIMMS because the main ATX power cable was being a pain and fiddly to install.

Bloody Molex connectors I'm sure they are getting tighter.

To any newbies thinking of swapping a PSU unit. I had forgotten how easy it was, as long as you observe how your peripherals are connected inside your case (so you don't try and connect them the wrong way) and you observe ESD saftey precautions by wearing an ESD wristrap then there shouldn't be a problem.

I still have a few pieces of software to reinstall but I'm almost back to normal.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Pretty soon you'll have your gaming rig back :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee

Just got to apply patches etc to game and then put the save games back on.:D

4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Nice GBL.

I've actually replaced a fair few PSU's and, up until today, the last 2 have been REALLY easy. The PSU's had minimal cables - they were proprietry cases/psu's (from PC world (not mine!)) - and the PSU's themselves were really small. It was literally 2 minutes work.

Today however, I also fitted my new OP650 PSU - which is working great btw - but I had quite a lot of trouble removing the original thermaltake PSU from my Soprano case. The rest in which the PSU sits on was in the way, as was the bar which runs along the side of it. Then there was the firewire which on the top of my case.. It was quite a struggle getting it out, lots of twisting and jiggling! My new PSU went in a fair bit easier though, it's a few cm here and there smaller.

Not sure what this has to do with your post, I just wanted to jump on the "new psu" bandwagon :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Nice work, dude! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Only if every swap job was that simple. Good work.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, i've found trying to swap my G/F for a newer improved model very hard, where as swapping PSUs fairly easy!!

In the last 18 months i've fitted 3 Hiper type-r PSUs in 3 machines. 2 went in easy with plenty of room. The other went in with a little bit of fiddling as the cables were ackward to screw in due to memory modules being a bit close and haveing a metal plate that the PSU rests on, a bit too close to a case strengthening bar. But thier in and have been working fine since with 2 on alomost 24/7 for the last year!

PSU technology has improved in the last few years and thier design has too, to such a point that they are no longer as noisy and can cool the case and compnents quite a bit on thier own.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Glad its all sorted mate. Im having to use my laptop at the moment because i decided to build a new pine computer area in my room. I wish i hadnt started tho, its been a nightmare lol, its an old house and all the walls are off!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Typical old houses, never a straight wall to be found :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. greenbrucelee

I can't go wireless in my house because my house was built in 1738 and there's half a ton of lime in the walls. Seems to block the signal, also my house is slanted so if you leave some cupboards open they close by themselves.

11. Raffaz

You sure the cupboards are just slanted? Sounds spooky to me!:eek:

12. greenbrucelee

no it is actually the house, instead of being built to be level on the hill it isn't so if I open up the pantry door I don't have to sut it because it does it itself also with my TV which is on a stand two of the legs have coasters underneath so the TV is level, same with the drawers next to it.

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

My mums house was built in 1800s with 18 inch thick walls in places and I was sceptical that she would get a signal when she asked me to get a wireless router to go with the new wireless laptop, but she gets a brilliant signal all round the house.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. greenbrucelee

I also live in the middle of no where, can hardly get a mobile signal.

15. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

You do realise that your location has nothing to do with wireless broadband? The connection comes from your phone line into the router, through cables, then the router sends/receives signal to and from the PC/Laptop.

If for e.g. you router was in the same room as your laptop/pc you should be able to get a pretty solid 54mbs connection - or whatever speed the router has.

Though, if you live in the middle of no-where, then you could have a bad connection but it will be the same whether you're connected via cable or wireless. There's not a *great* difference between the 2 these days, though I still use PC -> ethernet -> modem on my PC for gaming.

16. greenbrucelee

Thats why I'm certain the lime in the walls is giving me a poor signal when I tried wireless.

17. Raffaz

I think GBL is refering to his mobile phone mate.:)

18. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea I noticed that. However, it was added as if to say it's related to the wireless.

Ah GBL, I wouldn't know about the Lime - odd.

19. greenbrucelee

my Wireless does run slowly, thats why I have it properly connected now. But my mobile I have to stand at specific point in my house just to get a signal.

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I used to have exactly the same problem until very recently. I changed my service to Next G, which i think is the same or similar technology to 3G. Since then i have a perfect signal. It might be worth you looking into it :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)