First Week in the new job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Danmurph, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

I thought I would give you an update on how the job is going as a Network Analyst.

Firstly Network Analyst is NOT a great way to describe this role as it appears I have so much more responsibility than I had first thought.

Right so its a reasonably sized company with two sites based around 60 miles apart from one another. The I.T. manager works from home (he has however been around for the last couple of days to meet me etc), there is one other guy who is basically running the show and of of course the new addition to the team....ME! :D

First Impressions when I went in and they told me what I would be doing from the off, to put it mildly I sh*t a brick! In the last four days not only have I had to learn exactly how a live network functions - Vlans, Subnetting, AD, SAN, Linux etc (remember the only work I have done before this was service desk and the only real network knowledge I have is from books as we were restricted in my last job) they informed me today that in eight weeks time I will be the only person on this site, immediately responsible for the network and supporting all end users with their equipment and software as the other guy is going to the other site, I will even have my own office...wow! :blink

Although I have only been there for four days I have worked my eight hour days that I am employed to do, then have taken my laptop home with me and have dialed in to the network and studied for around a further 6 hours a night just to get the information in my head.

Since I have been there I have:

Re-documented the whole network including diagrams of the infrastructure including all IP addresses and port listings for each device (even the vlans although I had no idea how they worked a week ago)
    Resolved connectivity issues with WLAN's
    Configured PDA's with the correct and updated software
    Updated the firewalls in the linux boxes
    Started to learn how to efficiently troubleshoot the network with guidance from the other engineer
    Learned to use the tailored software (created by the two other people who work there) that all company staff use
    Studied my ass off to learn the things I didn't know! :rolleyes:
    The first thing I had to do was even set my own laptop up on the network and my account in AD!

On top of all this they have asked me once I am comfortable with maintaining the network (tbh its not an overly complicated one and from what I have learned rarely falls over) they would like me to learn mysql to troubleshoot the database and vb.net to debug the programs they have developed.

This is a fantastic opportunity for me but I'm not going to lie, it has been and is going to be for a few more weeks the hardest I have ever worked in my life but I feel will definitely be worth it :D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Sounds fantastic mate:D

Keep us updated.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds like your getting a lot of experience and are going to get a great opportunity, well done.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Make sure you keep us updated and good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Sounds like a great step for you. Glad its going well, keep us posted!

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  6. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Glad it's going well mate, bet your learning more and more each day :biggrin sounds like a nice little number :twisted:

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats and good to hear you're enjoying the new role and challenge as well as learning. Best wishes and keep us posted on how you're getting on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations, now remember shut the door kick back in your chair and play world of warcraft all day :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009