First to Third Line Variations

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Queeg, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

I've seen quite a few threads on here regarding how long people stay in 1st line support, and it seems it's often only 1 or 2 years for many people. Where I work one of the second line engineer's has over 4 years of experience in the same company!

Perhaps it's a much larger jump from second to third line but I still wonder if it varies a lot from company to company.

Any thoughts?

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This is a question that can be answered by the individual themselves as 4 yrs in second line for them might not be too bad an experience to gain within the same company.

Again second line sometimes depends on the company might actually involve a bit of 3rd line support task as well. Lastly, every person's career goals and aspiration are different, hope this answers your question? Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

1 to 2 years is really the minimum amount of time generally recommended to stay in a position before moving up to the next tier. However there is no fix amount of time that you should stay in any position, if you find a position that you like/suits you, you can be there for years. I've known people stay at level 1 for 4-5 years simply because they like it and they don't want to go up the technical ladder.

In short it does vary company to company, person to person.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

I forgot to mention, another second line engineer has worked there for 8 years. Makes perfect sense I suppose, depends on the person weather they advance quickly or not at all.

Cheers Guys

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

One chap I work with on first line has been here 10 years, as has the IT manager. Our Security Engineer has been here 8 years, and our network analyst 6 years. Must be good.

I've had such an odd day, I thought about starting a thread on it. But then I thought it could respond to this... so here I go :)

I've been a First Line Support Analyst for the same firm for 18 months, and have no inclination to leave whatsoever. But... well... it's just a job title. If you work for a corporate helpdesk that has you reading scripts and escalating anything that requires you breathing near the user's equipment, then I'd last three nanoseconds before jumping out of the window.

Find the right company... you'll want to stay there. My day (so far) has gone like this:

7:30 - rock into work. I don't start til 9, but the traffic on the M6 is a b!tch, and I'd rather be in massively early than risk being late.

8:00 - 9:00 - move a laptop and printer set up in a client room for auditors, check the mail traps, check incoming helpdesk tickets to see what I need to allocate to the boys.

9:00 - 10:00 - meet with IT manager about outstanding work in Dubai. Discuss issues on our DMS box and new user accounts. Schedule a call to talk to suppliers about outstanding issues. Troubleshoot a WINS issue. Hand over the last of our invoices to the boss for final sign-off.

10:00 - 13:00 (madness) - take a remote session with a supplier to troubleshoot scripting issues causing problems on a specific dbase stopping people from using our DMS. Take receipt of delivery of stock that needs asset managing. Talk to another supplier about the next spec of laptop I want to take on as our current is going EOL soon. Arrange loans for me to bash around :) do some AD troubleshooting, reset a couple of servers as they're playing up. Then fun with a BES, some Exchange server stuff, more user account chats, and then to lunch.

And assume throughout the morning that I take and allocate or escalate helpdesk calls and clear down mail traps.

A typical first line morning. Obviously. I think this is going to stay varied enough for me to hang around for a while...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I’ve seen people stay in their respective level of support for numerous years. In smaller companies the lines a bit more blurred. In larger organizations, I see more (short-term) financial reward for first (& second line) support levels.

On-call bonus can tempt some to remain on the desk. :eek:

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Many people have 1 years experience x four or more. Where they have not undertaken the course of progressing there career or knowledge. Then they wonder why they have not been put up promotion or get to the next level.

Don't forget, IT as a skill set is 'easy to learn' compared to the rest of the package e.g. inter personal, communication, time management, decision making, presentation etc are ALOT harder to come by.

You can teach people IT, but you cannot teach them how to be nice (omg I sound corny!)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

it depends on a lot of things such as what 1st, 2nd and 3rd line jobs actually do in the company and whether you are happy doing it and what expectations you have for your career. some first line roles just require logging of tickets with needs little technical ability so you wouldnt expect to stay there long. where as at mine currently the first line support makes all kinds of a/d, exchange changes and all kinds of software troubleshooting etc which means you'd have to stay there alot longer to learn everything you need.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640