first step to new career

Discussion in 'A+' started by johnboy1967, Jun 17, 2005.

1. johnboy1967

johnboy1967 New Member

looking to get a career in IT and currently looking at getting A+cert and network+cert books by mike meyers.i have been building,upgrading and repairing pcs for for friends and workmates for years and at the moment using a dual boot system to get a look at the linux system.after i sit the 2 certs listed above i was thinking about going for windows2000 pro mcp and 2000 server mcp followed by xp mcp.what do you guys with the experience think about this route.my only concern is getting a start with a company to get the work arena experience that seems to be required nowadays.all advice welcome cheers

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome to CF John :D

If you have building/troubleshooting PC's for years you should find the A+ quite straight forward. There is a lot to commit to memory though!
    My advice would be to get yourself a book such as the Mike Myers one and work through it. I am currently working towards Network+ which covers the networking concepts discussed in A+ in more detail.
    I am also looking to make a break. You will find lots of advice on job hunting here too.

Good luck, hope you stay around it is a very friendly place to be :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Johnboy. Good to see you taking the bull by the horns.

Why not swing by the New Membes are and say a proper "hello" - it's a whole lot easier to help you when the Guys have got to know you a bit :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Johboy.

I'm not sure I understand why you would want to do both the XP & 2K workstation exams, then a single 2K server exam...

Given that you intend to go for A+, then N+, you have the elective covered for the MCSA qualification right there. And it would make sense to go for the 2003 version now ...

So by all means, go for the XP Exam (70-270), after that, all you would need is 70-290 & 70-291 and you would be an MCSA 2003.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada