First Server where to start??

Discussion in 'Networks' started by twizzle, Aug 7, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

So following my purchase of a nice and heavy Proliant Dl380 G3 server, i'd thought i'd try setting it up on my home network. Installed W2K3 R2 (not enough umph for W2K8) and selected options for email, file, dhcp, dns and DC. Havent a clue if i need anything else but lets start somewhere.

So after setting the server up as a DC and my domain name as twizzle.home i try connecting a Win7 pc to it. But the Win7 fails to find teh Domain. I get

An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for teh domain "twizzl.home" could not be contacted.
    Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.
    If teh name is correct, click details for troubleshooting information.

Clicking trouble shooting gives me:-

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "twizzle.home":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.twizzle.home

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

twizzle.home
    home
    . (the root zone)

Now i have tried ping from server to PC and back and thats fine. does the error message mean i have to wait a day for teh DNS on my ISP to get updated with my internal domain name? if so why? Shouldnt i be able to conenct to my domain straight away as its only and internal one not used on teh web? Or am i barking up teh wrong tree? I have no clue when it comes to servers and found teh MS press book 290 to be confusing too.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Have you configured your client to use server as DNS server and not your ISP?

ISP's DNS has nothing to do with your internal network and it will never get updated with your internal domain's information.

Edit: if you're using DHCP is DHCP scope/server option for DNS configured to point at the server and not ISP?

Is DHCP on the router disabled?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

DHCP is still enabled on the router (didnt want to disable it as other pcs use it though i could assign static IPS i suppose) Think i may have set the DHCP scope to point to ISP DNS not server, how can i confirm?

I have tried setting the client pc DNS to the servers DNS with the ISPs as 2nd preferrred but it made no difference.

4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

shouldn't the network adapter settings for the server have the DNS settings as 127.0.0.1? and the only DNS settings you should need in the client machine is the IP address of the server.

You shouldn't need DHCP set up on the server to get started as your IP for the server should be a manually assigned static IP and you can pull an IP address for the client from the router or manually assign an IP address. Definitely manually assign the DNS on the client.

can you ping the server by name and by IP?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Your ISP won't register the IP of your internal DNS Domain name because it's not a recognized Internet level Domain name.

Ideally what you want to do (assuming that the server will remain online all of the time) is either have the DNS server of your internal server acting as a forwarder and your router updated to include the internal DNS server as one of it's DNS servers (usually you can issue 2 DNS server addresses, make the server the primary and either the ISP or OpenDNS the secondary). You would configure the internal DNS server with the forwarders to the ISP or OpenDNS. Failing that you could start using the DHCP server on the server to issue addresses but in all honesty it would be easier to have the router doing it instead.

Once you have configured that trying doing an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS on the client and then try pinging the server, next you want to do either a PING or a PATHPING to try and determine whats causing it to fail (just so you know I use the first option at home with no issues at all).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I can ping by IP but not by name so am assuming its a DNS issue. The Ip of the server is set to 192.168.1.20 and i have used that as teh DNS on both the server and client PC as well as using 192.168.1.1 as 2nd dns on client.

7. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

You should set the DNS for the server as itself 127.0.0.1 you should then set up your ISPs DNS server as a forwarder for that server and not your router as it doesn't work when you try it as a forwarder. You must find the real DNS server of your ISP. On the client you set the DNS as the IP of the server.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Not trying to hijack the thread but I am confused. I went into the forwarders tab in the DNS server properties and deleted the DNS server I had there and I can still surf. Shouldn't I not be able to surf the internet form the machine. It's a virtual machine and I have the actual wireless adapter set up for networking in the virtual machine properties.

Why can I still pull up web pages and ping google? I even did a ipconfig /flushdns

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

How is the client configured though?

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The server will probably have root hints DNS configured and they are being used for external DNS resolutions.

Best to use a DNS forwarder though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Sparky

What is 192.168.1.1?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

The router has 192.168.1.1. I've gone through and given everything a static IP and made notes of which is which. Surprised to find i have 10 networked devices!

Going to give the servers DNS 127.0.0.1 and see where to go from here.

EDIT: Ok done that and can now ping server to client on IP but not Client to Server. DNS on Server is 127.0.0.1 on client its set to servers IP and 2ndry to routers ip

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  13. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Take the second entry out for DNS (Your router). You DNS should resolve by Client > server > ISP DNS server (Set it the forwarders on the DNS server). You can also put the ip of the server for it's own DNS but using the loopback address means the first entry will always be right. I just thought I would mention that.

Also this also assumes you have DNS installed on both of the servers.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  14. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok will try that thanks. How do i change the forwarders? i cant seemt o find the option anywhere, and think i've set them to the wrong DNS for my ISP (after browsing net found different dns address for Talk Talk)

15. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

I think you right click the server icon in the DNS snap in.

16. Sparky

On the client type nslookup at the command line.

Then type the server name, see what it comes back with.