First post & need advice....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by danniburke, Mar 27, 2008.

1. danniburke

danniburke New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say Hi!!!!!

This is not really for my purposes but my husbands, thought i'd see if I can find out some information for him!!:oops:

Anyway, his company has asked if he would take over looking after the computers at his work and find a course that would cover sorting out Network problems etc... exams are not needed...just needs to be able to do it!

Been looking at the Comptia Network + course...as this seems to be what he needs to be able to sort out any problems with it etc...

Do you think it is possible to just go in and start learning about this without any previous courses being completed (I.E the A+)

He is quite knowlegable with computers, and as i say only really needs to learn about the stuff in Newtork + course.

Been looking at: http://www.trainingcenter.com/comptia-network+-2005-n10-003-training-course-online.htm#11

anyone know if they're any good???

Any advise would be appreciated as don't want him to go in head first and it be too much.

Danni

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Danni and welcome to CF:) with regards to your question the N+ text book should be fine as long as hard work is put into it. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

onski is right, text books would be easier and alot cheaper (thinking the mike meyers books), however how big is his company, im assuming proberbly 20 employees or less as (trying not to be dis-heartning) network problems can either be point and click issues on a users computer, or he could be ripping up carpet and trunking tracing faulty/broken cables, changing vlans in switches and all sorts of things that you cant really just jump into.

but as I say I assume its a fairly small company so proberbly just have all computers going to an adsl router.

Also be prepared for the users coming in saying "this is a personal question" as soon as users know you have an incling of IT knowledge you will be "expected" to be the font of all knowledge on their home computers as well (we will fix home pc's here, but we charge biscuits for doing so).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Danni,

You posted this in the Net+ area of the forum too... you may find that you get replies to both, unless one of the Admins can move or modify.

Cheers

John

5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Network+ is a good foundation to networks, but may not be enough for the specific situation.

You would need to find out more detail of what the job would entail for us to guide you further.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

personally i was always fairly knowledgable with computers myself but didnt find teh N+ especially usefull. i think the best area for him to study would be the MS Win XP exam. this teaches by far the most usefull skills for use in a small company, if his company grows and starts implimenting servers/domains etc. he could move onto a server exam, but if he already has good knowledge of computers i dont think a N+ exam is especially usefull, assuming his training budget is limited and assuming he has limited time to study, maybe he should buy a A+ and N+ book and just use them for reference when he needs to look things up, but i would certainly say the MS XP exam will provide him the most usefull expertise to start looking after a SMALL company network

hope this helps

P.S. the above is assuming his company has less then 20 computers running 98/XP/Vista (an XP Exam and a lil common sence can let you troubleshoot vista fine)

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009