First pc build!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Mar 10, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi people, well here i am.... Currently constructing my first pc build for myself. Here is my specification:

DFI lanparty ultra-d(939)
    Ferrari enzo ATX tower case(sexxxy) :biggrin
    AMD Athlon 3700+ socket 939 CPU
    ATI Radeon X850XT 256mb PCI-E (not too bad)
    Maxtor 250gb 16mb cache HD,(was gonna use SATA)
    Samsung DVD+RW

Im sure your familiar with installing compnents etc etc etc, What it is.... Ive attached the MOBO to the case(via the slide out panel) But looking at the motherboard manual, the connectors for the HD led, and Power LED attachments look different to the one on my motherboard.

Also, there are a number of cabled coming from the front of the ATX case with in one bunch DATA+1, data+2,vcc1,vcc2,1ground,2ground, in another bunch:mic-in,mic-power,another ground cable, 3rd bunch.... l-out,r-out,L-ret,R-ret,and ground again.... Question is, where do all the plug into???? they are all 1 pin individual connectors as well.

Also im a bit nervous about when first booting as to what to do? wouldnt want to cause any harm to the components or anything, I am going to use AC-5 thermal paste for the CPU.

Any feedback on this??

Appologies for the essay

Craig :p

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In most cases (but I don't know this motherboard) the cables will fit - they often don't fit exactly though.

The first set sound like USB connections. These will need to be plugged onto the USB header on the motherboard. It is vital to get this right! Failure to do this could mean damaging the mobo! The second and third sets are sound. They will likewise plug onto the sound headers.

This is contentious. My view is that according to AMDs instructions you should not use paste but the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. If the heatsink didn't ship with one it isn't suitable.

Might it not have been a good idea to check that the case matched the motherboard before buying? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I made sure the motherboard was compatible to the case before buying(im not that daft) LOL.

Looking through the manual i cannot yet see where the connectors go into the motherboard.

struggling a bit here.

Craig

4. hbroomhall

Well - I'm looking *a* manual, and it has the details.

But to match up I'll need the *exact* model of the motherboard and the board revision - I had to guess at which manual to download.

Harry.

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You'll probably find it in the manual if you go through the steps one by one. The section you'll find will show a small rectangle od 1 pin connectors in 2 rows, towards the lower front part of the mobo. These will be labled (on the mobo) cryptically, like pwr led sp , etc. Then you just match the labels on the wires to the pins with the same names.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

OK, the motherboard is the DFI LANparty NF4 ultra-d

Hope this helps

Thanks matey

Craig

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

umm you will need to get a few case fans.. i have had nasty experiences with amd's in my workshop.. they not expensive so i would go for 2 blowing onto the disk(s) , 1 onto the processor and the other blowing out... i havent got a amd but at 5 quid a fan i think its worth it knowing i have 3 disks in mine..

just my pence worth! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. hbroomhall

Assuming this is the UT board:

USB connector info on p46, and sound connector info on p44.

Harry.

9. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

You must be looking at the wrong manual, those pages are in some foreign language.

Sorry for the hassle.

10. hbroomhall

Oh dear - can you give me the part number from the cover please?

Harry.

11. hbroomhall

A thought - if the only paper manual you have is a multilingual one with little info then you might want to look at the motherboard CD - I'll bet there is a better one on there!

Harry.

12. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I cannot insert the cd into the computer im using at the minute as it is not recognised.... However, The number in the first page of the manual is 935-NF4U91-100 or this number is underneath the one previous, 84730508

craig

13. hbroomhall

Um - can't find that. And being unable to read the CD doesn't sound good. I'd suggest a trip to the dealer to get it swapped.

And the multilingual manual that I downloaded says to get the main manual from the CD!

Harry.

14. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

It does show up in my computer as DFIblah blah blah, but when double clicked thats when it says the cd is not recognised....

Try this user manual number.....935-nf4u91-000

15. hbroomhall

The multilingual manuals that I have seen all point to the main manual on the CD.

So are going to have to sort the problem of whether it is the media or the drive!

Harry.

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, I found this manual in english. If you go to page 18 it shows the board layout. Does it look like this?

Hope this helps.

Edit: pages 63 and 64 might be what you need.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck, USB and Firewire ports on the system case often cause the most grief when connecting them to the motherboard. It’s great when they are connected together as one single connector without having to connect each individual wire to each pin on the motherboard, not fun! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Yeh thats the manual i downloaded yesterday evening. It goes into alot more detail than the manuals i have with the mobo.

I think i will connect everything up first(use ps/2 connectors for keyboard n mouse) then go from there.

Cheers guys

19. hbroomhall

You will still need that motherboard CD though - as that is the easiest source of drivers for the system. Without those various things may not work, if if they do, not to spec.

Harry.