First Oracle Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JackSly, Dec 11, 2011.

1. JackSly

JackSly New Member

I am looking for some advice on how to go about applying for jobs in Oracle, as a Junior DBA.

I have certifications in Oracle SQL and am currently working towards a PL/SQL qualification. I hope to have a job lined up for when I leave Sixth Form in June/July but am unsure of how to go about it.

I have also attatched my CV if anyone could give me some extra tips on it.

Thanks!
    Jack

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    Certifications: Oracle Database Design & Modelling, Oracle SQL
    WIP: Oracle PL/SQL
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Very competitive area of IT you want to get into there mate.

Have you considered going to university after you have finished sixth form?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JackSly

JackSly New Member

I haven't, Uni has never been a choice in my mind, and never see myself going there.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Most DBAs or Junior DBAs I have worked with have either made the switch from Server Admin or Development work.

That’s why I suggested uni as you don’t have any experience but if you don’t want to go down that path you may want to look at other entry level jobs that in time could get you to a DBA job.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Im no expert what so ever so don't completely take my advice and im sure there's someone here that could clarify a little more but i think your cv looks a little "bare" maybe needs a bit more detail in the personal profile area.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. JackSly

JackSly New Member

Thankyou for the replys, I'll start looking down other routes to get into some entry level jobs envolving Oracle.
    Always have felt my CV is a beak weak but don't know how to go about making it any better, any help on that would be much appreciated.

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

First up. Edit your CV and remove personal information for both yourself and your referees. I'm sure neither you nor they will appreciate receiving spam as a result of you putting that information onto the internet.

You are going to find it difficult to get a job involving Oracle right at the start. As Sparky says, most DBA's come from a server admin role, or a developer role with years of experience. Think about it - who is going to let you be responsible to the maintenance of a mission critical database when you are unproven?

Your CV... Well, it's difficult to be honest. School Leavers usually have virtually nothing to place on their CV of any worth.

Lose the border.

Perhaps expand your Personal profile detailing why you want to get into IT. I don't normally recommend that, but you have no experience, and little qualifications of direct relevance to speak for you - so you need to give them good reasons to take a punt with you.

Tailor your Profile to the job at hand. If you apply for a 1st line job (and at your level, you should be!), they are going to be unlikely to take you on knowing you want to progress into DBA work - they will see you as high risk: leaving as soon as a DBA role appears on the horizon. Once you are in and settled, you can start trying to find ways to "assist the team" by taking on some DBA functions if available.

Lose "Curriculum Vitae" from the top of the document. Employers are going to know what it is anyway, so it's wasted space.

Include an "Achievements" section, and detail four or five achievement that you feel are of particular note to the prospective employer.

Raise Skills above Work Experience. Your Work Experience is sparse enough that you will want to draw attention to your skills before they look at what you have done (I do this as a matter of course anyway).

Include start and end dates on your Work Experience, as it will indicate more clearly how long you were doing those activities.

Normally I would say take off Interests and Activities, but given you dont have a lot to put on it yet, leave it on.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present