First line it support with a little 2nd line support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gmail trooperman, May 3, 2013.

1. Gmail trooperman

Gmail trooperman New Member

Hi,

I have 5 years IT experience working as a IT support with a dual role as a production technician although most of my time was spent in the it department. There is only two of us so I deal with lots of issues.

I am studying a online degree with ou - it and computering

I have a few Certs.

Latest is network+, server 2008 Active Directory, and Server 2008 infastructure. I also dealt with the internal phone system and looked after the mobile phones.

I also do the company PAT testing

In 8 years, I have only been late 4 times

I have only had 4 days sick in 8 years.

Yet I only get paid £15750 42 hours a week, 3 hours a week more than the it manager

I'm 35 , can I find work better than this?

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Going on what you've said YES. Your current role sounds a lot like my first IT role although in my case I was doing 3 DAYS a week extra.

I'm now working for an outsourced IT provider now support 130 odd clients, both servers and desktops, 1st, 2nd and 3rd line and I've not got beyond the old MCDST as far as certification is concerned.

Update your CV and start applying!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Gmail trooperman

I found out today that because I work partly in production department, and its production's responsibility to look after the maintenance of the building. The MD said I have to shampoo and clean the carpet. Monthly, and then get told actually " whilst you at it you can do the boardroom".

I updated my CV, but I wanted to get as much experience as possible, and I guess stupidly I would get a pay rise. £15750 is impossible to live on if you have a family and a mortgage. I even worked part time at Sainsburys on a Saturday morning for some extra cash, hoping my company would reward me, but just been told I could always work in production and get a pay reduction.

4. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Judging by your posts, it seems as if you've got a very strong work ethic (OU course, certs and even get getting a Saturday morning job in Sainsburys!) On one side of the argument, your employer hasn't asked you to do an online degree course or to get extra certs in order to carry out your job. As far as they are concerned you were employed as a production technician/1st Line support technician and therefore your annual salary of £15750 is considered reasonable from their standpoint.

However, on the other side, you have shown dedication to them for 5-8 years! You have also demonstrated your willingness to learn by achieving certs. Is this a small firm? Have you made your goals clear to your employer in terms of career progression?

It's a very tough job market out there. If I were you, I would discuss with my employer valid reasons why I should get paid more/promoted and If that didn't come to anything, I would be out there actively applying for other jobs!

Obviously take my advice with a grain of salt as I've never worked in IT. However, I've worked in retail for a fair few years and I know what it's like working your arse off without any indication of a promotion in sight. I luckily landed my first job in IT just last week (start date is next month) and I can safely say my salary is quite a bit higher than yours (but I live in London). If you think you're worth more than the salary you are currently receiving then it is your job to make your case heard (within reason), or move on.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  5. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Talk to company first and see if any room for progression and if not time to move. Is the short answer.

You've the right drive and determination to succeed. Don't limit yourself.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  6. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

Depends where you live of course but the salary seems awfully low.

Get on cwjobs, jobserve, jobsite and start looking for better IT jobs with none of this production/maintenance nonsense.

If you have good, demonstrable "wintel" troubleshooting skills you should definitely be able to improve on that.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  7. Gmail trooperman

Thanks guys,

Basically, I talked to the boss and he told me the MD will never give a pay rise other than small extra I get as I only work part production. MD said" I'm basically not worth the extra money in not so many words, and no one getting pay rises'

I knew that was a lie as quite a few colleges told they got their bonus and payrise

When the boss is away, I have to deal whole of the company by myself as there is only two of us.

Oh well..... I guess I know where I stand now��

I live in York and the living costs are increasing badly, I hope there some work out there.

8. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

They'll miss you... ;-)

Best of luck fella in which ever you choose.

I'm doing IT via the OU doing B120 atm what course you doing?

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  9. Gmail trooperman

Hi,

I'm doing maths mu123 and tm128. Some of it I already know, but some stuff was new to me. Next year I may do a little programming, good for a mixture of knowledge.

I got asked to today if I could shut up the building today as builders need to be on site until 8:30pm, I used to do it as know one else would, but I politely declined as I was " too busy" I guess looking back I was too kind and wanting to help too much. It has been a big lesson for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a list of things I do

First to check support calls and issue calls to myself or the manager
    Check backups and change tape
    Build pcs and laptops to a department requirements either from bare metal or from images
    Create user AD accounts and set up exchange mailboxes
    Issue replacement smartphones as needed
    Resolve any problems for the company owner
    Set up phones on the internal phone system for new users or setting things like groups etc...
    Repair and set up network printers
    Resolve problems with software support staff
    Look after the company it infrastructure when the IT manager is away as there is only two of us.
    Upgrade the company to windows 7 and office 2007-12
    Some light work on VMware vsphere( creating test vm machines for development)
    Upgrade hardware components
    Some networking and cabling
    Stock control
    In charge of asset control
    PAT testing all of the company's equipment, and responsible All of the remote staff is kept up to date.

I have worked part time for a telesales financial advice service, and my experience working with the public plus some customer service courses I have done should help too.

Is this a good basis for looking for a new job?

I am hoping with the degree I am working on... Plus I will do a few Certain too.

Earning more than £15750 would be a. Dream for me, I know money is not everything, but it o
    Would make a difference for me and the family

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I don't know whether it's just me or other people think the same but I think the money you are on is too low for the role/jobs you do.

If I was you I would be looking for and applying for any job that would require your skills and experience. Let me get this straight, 5+ years with Network+ and Server 2008 AD and Infrastructure?

Hit the Job websites and look at each listing you think you can do and check them out.

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This does sound exactly like my first IT role, I was on more money though! You sound like you have all the skills necessary to move to a better paid role elsewhere, I certainly did and I've not been working towards a degree.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. Gmail trooperman

Thanks guys, I will look. I'm certainly no expert, but I tried learn as much as I can in different parts of the IT. It's really hard to master one part when the company has you doing lots of things and also trying to keep on top of support calls in a part time fashion.

One thing I'm proud of is i got a company award in 2009 for all the hard work I did.

Thank god me and the misses don't waste money so we are slightly ahead on the mortgage own a small amount on the credit cards. No loans or other debts thank god.

But the house needs some working doing though.

13. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Remember man there is now harm in at least looking!

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  14. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

£15750 !!
    How do people get away with only paying that. I earn more than that (just) for two days a week disconnecting and reconnecting PCs. No skill involved, just the willingness to crawl about under desks.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  15. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

You have previous IT work experience and some relevant certs which is a good start. Looking for career progression and a pay rise is good enough reason to look elsewhere.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP