first job

Discussion in 'A+' started by DAVID ARROWSMITH, Sep 30, 2008.

1. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

just wondered how many out there had got their first position in i.t just by having the a plus alone and what kind of realistic salary you could expect ?
    regards,
    davearrow.

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's entirely dependant upon a number of factors:-

• Experience
    • Other Relevant Qualifications

There's no pre-set salary base. If you wish to view rough salary estimates then http://www.itjobswatch.com is a good site. You can search here via qualifications (such as your A+) as well as location.

From personal experience - I got my first I.T job with absolutely no experience nor I.T specific qualifications.

Hope this helps. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I got my first job with just having the A+, but my hiring manager said she didn't give a rat's a$$ what certs I had so long as I could do the job.

She phrased it differently of course, but the gyst is the same :)

I started on less than 20K, but more than 17K.

But Qs is also entirely spot on with regards to regionalisation, etc. I'm based in the West Mids.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I got my first IT job without any certifications whatsoever. It can be done!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Ditto for me.
    After the first job I moved into a Junior Sys Admin, but I still didn't have any certs.

6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Ditto, have only started working on the certs now after 2 years in the job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ditto (again) If you can demonstrate that you are serious about it and that you have the right kind of mind for it there will be a position somewhere out there for you!
    Infact, if you have the A+ but not much experience then that may go against you more than having no certificates as at the end of the day what's the point of a certificate without the experience (or skills) to do the job.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Me too. no cert or experience. I think salary depends largely on your location.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  9. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I am currently working as IT manager for a fairly sizeable Financial services company with no qualifications :)

The company was split a while ago and I just made the pitch for the IT role on one side of things, fortunately I got it.

Now they are paying for all my certifications :) A+ being the first one at the beginning of November.

Part Luck, Part them knowing that I was competent with IT and part me asking the right questions!

It certainly can be done!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  10. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I've just landed my first IT job with no certifications or relevant industry experience at all. Saying this, it is still my intention to complete the A+ only to know that I can do it!