1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First job how its going so far(next stage )

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ddan, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi guys

I have not commented in a while so just thought id tell you guys what I have been up to. I have been working
    at company doing software support for over 4 months. The job is ok but at time it can become boring, and I do feel like
    I will soon be at the stage where I will know most things required for the job. I was thinking maybe to try moving onto the next
    level by applying for windows supports jobs, or I should I get a solid year experience, at this company first what do you guys think?

2. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Any feedback guys?

3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

4 months is a bit short, lots of short jobs on a CV make your CV look messy and confused and more importantly it's a warning sign against you for employers.

Stick with it, know the role backwards and try and develop it around what you want to do, e.g. software problem x is related to a windows problem y, delve into that side of it further, why does y occur etc. If a larger place try and spend some time with the server/desktop guys and learn their roles.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
    RichyV likes this.
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

+1

Always try to stick with a job and I'd certainly not leave due to bordom - there's bound to be work around what you do on a day-to-day basis that can be expanded upon, just as Cunnningfox has said.

Generally, I'd always say that staying a year to 18 months is a minimum so as not to alarm prospective employers (there are of course times when you have to leave a job but, from your description, I'd say this probably isn't one of them).

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. Capucine

Capucine New Member

4 months is really too short. Make it at least 1 year. otherwise your CV willlook messy and confusing.