First IT job – What to expect

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ciscoppl, May 16, 2007.

1. Ciscoppl

Ciscoppl New Member

I finally secured my first IT job today – I am absolutely thrilled – After months of trying, not only did I find a job, but its something that I ve really been wanting to get my hands dirty with for a long time and enjoy doing – The job is working at a large University with multiple campuses – It involves working with cisco devices and I ll be working under/assisting the Cisco guys – I believe I can learn a lot from this position and I am hoping this will prepare me for my CCNP.

At the interview, I would say 80% of the questions asked were technical and cisco related. I normally come across as a very confident person but I couldn’t believe how nervous I was for this interview. I guess I knew this position meant a lot to me and I didn’t wanna mess it up – I was not sure whether I had impressed them after the interview as I got a simple sub netting question completely wrong – I couldn’t believe it as I am very good with sub netting – at that point I bet they must have thought, what a prick. But by the outcome, it seems overall they were happy with me.

A piece of advice of job seeker/hunter – DON’T GIVE UP – SERIOUSLY

So back to the main reason I am posting this is that I am not sure what to expect on the first day/week at work – This is a short contract based position and it has been made clear to me that if I am not up to the standards, they will have to let me go early. Niiiice - I guess it’s tough working in the field but I am willing to give it all I ve got and go the extra mile to prove my worthiness. But I am sure some of you have guessed that at the back of my mind, I am thinking to myself ‘what if I am not good enough’ and ‘what if I am chucked out early’ – that is a possibility I ve been made aware of.

So guys – this is what I want from you is to share with me your experiences and possibly give me a rough idea of what to expect, which skills should I brush up on. Also I ve come across some peeps here who work in similar settings e.g. schools, colleges and universities – I would particularly be happy to hear from them.

And thanx for reading my looooooooong post.:)

looking forward to hear from u guys

Certifications: CCNA + B.Sc IT(Hons) Degree
    WIP: MCP 70-270 and 70-290
  2. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Fantastic news. I know what you mean about being nervous, I don't normally get it but for the last interview I went to I was very nervous as I really wanted it due to the situation I was in (which I've just posted a thread about).

Hope it works out, working in a Uni environment should be busy and give you loads of experience but you'll also have the support of a good team I expect.

As you say, people who are job hunting, don't give up or get down. You will find something, it just may take a while.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I would love to work in a uni environment, all them ladies! :D

On a serious note, well done on landing the job, great stuff! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations, Ciscoppl. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats! Let us know how you get on!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Ciscoppl and congrats on the new job. In terms of what to expect it varies with the team and how well they are willing to help. One advice stick to your guns and don't feel shy to say you'd go research something you don't know and get back to end user or team leader.

You come across quite confident so am sure you'd be alright just keep positive and keep on learning. There really isn't any other thing to expect but show enthusiasm and determination. Remember no one knows everything as we all learn something new each day.

In all my new roles that's the attitude that has seen me throught but in a permanent position which isn't much different from a contracting role. Best wishes and keep us posted on how your getting on:biggrin After all you can always feel free to post a question on this wonderful CF.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on landing the role!

Staying hungry is good, they obviously want the best from you which I'm sure you wil deliver. Being as immediately replaceable as you are in a contract tends to make you deliver 110%

It's not a bad thing, just keep your head down and do your best, before long you'll get an extension - just don't become part of the furniture!

Have you thought about umbrellas/ltd/ir35?

I can't subnet under pressure either if that's any comfort :p

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  8. Ciscoppl

Ciscoppl New Member

i am using JSA

Certifications: CCNA + B.Sc IT(Hons) Degree
    WIP: MCP 70-270 and 70-290
  9. mbr2

mbr2 Bit Poster

My first IT job I got was paying £4 an hour doing upgrades on PC's in the NHS.
    Not the greatest of jobs but it got me in, job was fun & I learnt a lot.
    Found out that most full time IT staff had at least CCNA or BSc in computing.
    Most did the work as an IT Tech for 1 to 2 years to gain experience and then moved onwards & upwards!

Certifications: ECDL & A+
    WIP: CCNA