First Day as Volunteer

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Weemez, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hey people,
    Just a wee update to say that it was my first day as a voluntary worker in the IT department in the hospital i work in and it was great! Cant wait to get a proper job in this role.

The head of IT is going to put me in Tech Support for a little while to help me with my A+ work then after a few weeks he is going to have me working with the Network team in and around the hospital (trying!) to fix problems so it is all looking good for my development.

The department looks after 120 servers, 6000 PC's/laptops, 2000 peripheral devices and there is about 6500 users and they are miles behind trying to catch up with their 220 approx calls a day so i don't think i will be twiddling my thumbs much! The team covers the whole of the highlands so plenty days out too!

I would say to anybody out there that if they have the opportunity and time to do this sort of thing then go for it as the experience will be invaluable to me/you and the head of IT is well impressed with with somebody who is willing to work for nothing, so who knows in the future!

I dont have much time either but i can give 4/5 days a month to this and reckon it is a good way to go.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hats off to you, Weemez - I'm well-impressed !!! Inspirational to everyone here :clap

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Great! Get your foot in the door and then force the rest of your body through. If you impress them and they can see the value in you, this could work itself into a permanent and paid job. Sounds like they need the help. Do as much as you can for them...not only for the sake of a potentially future position but because it's all great experience. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good on ya mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Nice one!
    I take it is for the NHS? Sounds daft but there are other Trusts around. I think I will write in and see. How did you go about it?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

:respct

You show them mate. Another greatr thing to stick on your CV. Make sure you keep a little note of what you've done so you can keep the old CV up to date.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Nice one Weemez. As I only work in term time at a school, I've voluntereered to help out the network administrator during holiday times. He's the only IT tech at the school and we have a network of 100 laptops and 300 to 400 workstations. As you can imagine, he's grateful for the help.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all your kind words guys! I will certainly keep a log of the work i'm involved in.

Boyce..

Its the security dept i work in at the moment so just by being in and around the hospital (NHS) i see lots of people, i only knew the head of IT to say hello to in the passing though, nothing more than that. I just thought one day what harm will it do to go in and ask? Fortunatly i did and i was very encouraged about the guys enthusiasm, as you can understand i thought with them being so busy i would just be told to clear off as my hands-on knowledge is non existant but it couldn't have been farther from the truth, he was encouraged by my enthusiasm and his very words were "i'm not going to turn down free help".
    So i win and hopefully the IT dept will win if i can be of help to them.

I will just be shadowing the guys for a few days then they are going to let me loose in the hospital! There is jobs coming up in the dept in the near future but im not going to get ahead of myself at the moment.

You should go for it Boyce and good luck mate. :biggrin

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheers Kev. I will contact my local hospital. Best of luck matey. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Let me know how you get on mate. :biggrin

11. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Congratulations on the volunteer job, Weemez! :D
    I believe that this would be good work experience to
    add to your resume.

Certifications: A+