First certification

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by adamramsey91, Feb 21, 2014.

1. adamramsey91

adamramsey91 Bit Poster

Hey all,

I posted on here around 18 months- 2 years ago for some advice for my first Microsoft cert, time had passed and I was involved in a software roll out, of which that is now all tied up and I am finally biting the bullet, I was dithering around too much and now decided I NEED to get a cert.

I have been shopping around, and noticed they have re-branded the MCITP back to the original MCSE, that said, I have noticed the introduction of the new MCSA: Microsoft Solutions Associate which has caught my eye. I have been in a desktop support role for just over four years and want to progress my role and once the certification is obtained re-negotiate my salary ( won't bore you with the details).

Anyway on the basis of my brief question above which cert would be the best one to go for? I guess the MCSA is the more 'beginner' cert?

Also on the note of training providers, which ones have the best reputation? have been trawling Google but they are few and far between, Firebrand is the one that regularly crops up but they aren't cheap.

Understand many of you will say self study, but I have the attention span of a goldfish so think some practical lab work would be the way to go.

Thanks

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Why not check with your local college if you cant self study. Most colleges have career advisors to. Im the sane tbh, im self studying comptia a+ if it doesnt sync in il do it at college

3. adamramsey91

adamramsey91 Bit Poster

No colleges around me offer the Microsoft courses.

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ah bummer, well I mean you could go with a training center but be prepared to sell your liver to pay for it.. other option, an online training provider, but then again thats self-study (although its more structured)
    Possibly get some advice from other members on here as I'm most definitely no expert, I have found though that having a study partner does help, I have a guy on here now who is also going for the A+ cert and we share resources etc. You just need motivation when it comes to self study. Im the type of person that likes to talk while studying so I post on here while reading lol.