Firewire connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mickaveli2001, Nov 15, 2008.

1. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Hi folks, I have a lightscribe DVD multi writer. It's an external one and has 3 connections on the back of it. A power one, and 2 firewire ones. I was hoping to come on tonight and hook it up to my laptop, and copy some music onto lightscribe CD-R's for the first time, but realised there is no firewire socket on my laptop :dry is there any cables, or adapters available to hook it up via USB in anyway. I've had a brief look on EBay but to no avail. I think it's a 6 pin firewire connection

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can get PCMCIA to firewire adapters. Laptops often have the small IEEE 1394 interface connection you might just need a different cable.

3. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

There's certainly converters out there... you'll just have to search that little bit harder! :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  4. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

I just noticed I have what appears to be a small connector similar or same to the connector which appears to be on digital cameras and the PS3 controller. Is this a 4 pin firewire by any chance? :blink

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Could be - but as I can't see it I can't be sure! How about telling us the make and model of your laptop? Or looking in the docs? :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+