Firewall warning E2B3C97F-....

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by CSL, Jun 12, 2008.

1. CSL

CSL New Member

On Vista, recently I have had a warning from my firewall on startup. Windows firewall asks permission for E2B3C97F-6AE1-41AC-817A-F6F92166D7DD to launch. Looking at the registry, this appears to relate to @C:\Windows\system32\FirewallSettings.exe,-12122, which I have checked and this doesn't appear to have had any new, unwanted exceptions added. I have also checked some of the port databases which state that this port whilst being a registered port, is unassigned.

Is this normal behavior for the firewall? Or do I have a trojan? A general sweep on the net doesn't reveal any answers to this question. As a precaution I have also ran a full antivirus sweep, and sfc.exe with no problems being flagged.

WIP: MCDST
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You'd find that Vista is very security conscious hence not surprised you are getting that message about the windwos firewall and warnings.

However, if you're comfortable with working with Vista and know about the software applications you've installed you can turn off the windows firewall to stop the promptings. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Strange responce. You also turn off your virus scanner because you know what you installed? The firewall protects you for opening ports that you are not aware of, like trojans and backdoors do.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I think Onoski meant you can turn off the security prompts, rather than turn off the firewall altogether.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. CSL

CSL New Member

I have switched off notifications when a program is blocked, which I am not entirely happy about, as I like to be aware off things as they happen, not later on done the line, when I cannot recall the circumstances leading upto the initial problem.

WIP: MCDST