Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Jul 4, 2009.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

A friend of mine is haveing issues with FF. She has been trying to upload pics to Facebook and other sites. Originally she had a message saying you need a newer version of java, so she downloaded that and all seemed fine. But not long after FF has started to crash when uplaoding the pics. Now thats all i know, no idea of any error messages or exactly what she's doing.
    My initial thoughts are her java install has done something to FF so maybe reinstall FF, but i thought i'd check here while i try some google fu as well. So any ideas anyone?

Ok quick google fu gave this http://www.ads-links.com/index.php/...sta-and-firefox-ie-tab-add-on-resolution.html

and as she is using Vista and FF and facebook i've pointed her here... but still appreciate your thoughts

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Looks like your link has the answer, install new Java JRE and browser plugin by running installer with admin priviledges.

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/10/firefox-java-plugin-may-not-work-on-vista/

Either that or copy the Java plugin files into the correct mozilla directory.

3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

well she's tried that and it didnt work. Apparently she's getting

windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working

and then FF crashes. Suggested she reinstall FF

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

rundll32 is just a program to launch COM DLLs in a seperate process, it helps to run a COM DLL as a COM server, it means nothing without extra info.

I could prob sort it if I was there, bit hard this remote support lark, now I know why I don't do it ! :wink:

Anything in event logs ? Any log or dump files in Firefox directories ?

Has she tried removing the Java plugin from firefox ?

Has she tried uninstalling all installed JRE's and then just installing one new one as admin ?

Can she use process explorer to find out what the actual DLL was in the rundll32 process ?

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I had a problem with the last Java update and FF.

Had to comepletly remove Jave, REBOOT, then do fresh install and let FF pick up it's plugin again.

Didn't work without doing the reboot in between.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Dmarsh i know how you feel, i work in customer support trying to fix peoples issues remotley. Its a lot easier if you have control of teh mouse and can see what ya doing. But i'm doing this one by emails so thats even worse plus she dosent know much about the stuff going on behind windows. So trying to get her to check dlls and processes wont work.

UKD i've asked her to reinstall FF but will also get her to uninstall reinstall the Java and try a reboot inbetween.

Worst comes to worse i'll have to get her to drop teh pc by one day.

7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Considering you're both emailing each other, I'm assuming you both have internet access.. in which case why don't you use TeamViewer for some remote assistance?

It's free for personal use!

Send her the QuickSupport executable and then get her to run it, mail back the ID and PASSWORD and leave it open. You'll then be able to take access of her machine -> diagnose properly -> fix.

..unless you actually want her to come round ;] :twisted:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

does she have enough memory ff can use quite a bit of RAM

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

FF generally suffers from memoryleaks when certain add-ons are installed.

MSN Messenger provides remote assistance aswell

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - but its pants.

Use LogMeIn instead - it's free version is just as good as it's paid-for one

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

i use logmein and crossloop at work. Dosent matter now she fixed it with uninstall reinstall. I just wait the next call from her. Its what she gets for buying an emachine from a catalog! no disks no manuals and no hope!

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

No disks or manuals? WTF!

13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yep all she has is a restore partition and a sheet of instructions saying how to restore from that partition should something go wrong.

Its not that uncommon these days but it just pisses me off that companies can do that as it makes our lives harder.

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You might be onto something here mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs