Firefox 1.0.6 issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripwire45, Jul 25, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

So far, this has just happened on my laptop. I normally leave Firefox up on my laptop all day and do various searches, surf the web, etc. I was working on it and noticed that my fans started racing for an extended period of time. I opened task manager and saw that Firefox was maxing out the CPU (I'm used to it taking up a fair amount of RAM). I thought it might be some sort of abberation and I closed Firefox.

I reopened it and started using it as I normally do. It seemed fine for a few minutes, then the fans started racing again and the same problem reoccured. The only other thing I noticed was that I got a "New Programs Installed" notice on my laptop and my lab machine at home this morning. Usually when you click on "All Programs", you'll see the new installation highlighted but nothing showed up. I installed version 1.0.6 within the past several days. If this keeps up on my laptop, I'm going to uninstall this version and reinstall the previous version.

I'm running Webroot's SpySweeper now to see if any critters show up. The latest AVG scan didn't turn up any viruses but that's my next step after running SpySweeper. Any other ideas out there?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Maybe it is worth a re-install Trip :blink if you haven't got any nasties hidden away.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

SpySweeper found one minor cookie. I ran McAfee's Stinger just for giggles but it didn't find anything. I've since opened Firefox on the laptop and it's been behaving for the past half-an-hour or so. I'll keep an eye on it. If it gets bad again, I'll take your advice and blow the current install away and reinstall it again.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns Bit Poster

Hmmm, I've been using this latest version of Firefox pretty heavily and I haven't known it behave that oddly.
    No new install notices either.

You're 100% certain no gribblies have crept in anywhere?

[edit]Ah, bugger, you have looked, sorry, should double check what I've read before I open my trap :oops: [/edit]

Certifications: Unqualified Wretch
    WIP: A+