Firebrand Training, a few facts!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by DreamWorks, May 18, 2008.

1. Princey

Princey Nibble Poster

Hey guys,

Its been a long time since I've been here! And as such I've just spent the last 30 minutes trying to remember my password :(

As it happens I will be starting my CISSP 7 day on-site training course with FireBrand from June 13, this year. Has anyone taken the CISSP with FireBrand training? If so, could you provide feedback?

I have met the pre-requisites for this exam, and I also have a fair amount of knowledge, and experience within several of these CBK's

Thanks! :)

Certifications: A+, CCNA, MCSE 2003, NICE Voice Recording,
    WIP: CISSP
  2. bhoya

bhoya New Member

I'm booked in for sitting the CISSP exam on Sunday the 18th so see you there, I'm tempted to do the course but I haven't made a final decision yet.

3. bhoya

bhoya New Member

Sorry should also have said that one of the CLAS consultants I work with went on one of the CISSP bootcamps a few years ago and said it was the best money he'd spent. But then again as a CLAS consultant he's probably used to lighting his cigars with £50's.

4. zoradaly

zoradaly Bit Poster

I think so, too

5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Did my review week there before the exam, was very good but that was mostly down to the amazing instructor we had.

He's since left ISC2 so don't think you'd have him, see if you can get the name of who you'll have and post it up here, good chance I'll know who it is (might not though :p).

6. tarekahf

tarekahf Bit Poster

How do you prepare for the exam ? Do you use the standard books ? Do you use multi-media/online tools ...etc ?

Tarek.

7. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I didn't do anything before the course as I'd already done things to give me a good overview of most of the CBKs.

With the instructor I had we used to tackle each of the CBKs by him first just going through them, talking about them, with us taking notes. This was how most of our learnign was done. Then once he'd done his bit, we'd go through the ISC2 review seminar student handbook chapter on that CBK with him flashing up the slides, but this was usually very very quick with him just going 'yeah we talked about that didn't we' making sure everyone was happy.

However that was just how this guy did it and I get the feeling that most others are a bit more rigid in how they do it. They probably follow the book/slides all the way, as well as whatever material Firebrand also produce. We didn't touch the Firebrand stuff at all, the instructor left it out for us on the last day and said we could look over it if we wanted but he didn't need any of it! All it looked like was kind of class exercise type stuff which might help you depending on how you like to learn. Personally I'm glad we didn't use it as it looked a waste of time to me.

So it all goes back to the instructor, get a good one and it'll be fun and easy ;) Ours was the then head instructor for ISC2 so maybe he could get away with being a bit more free and easy with how to teach it.

But that was specific to that course, if you're not looking to do the CISSP then all this doesn't really matter for your course :p

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  8. Pop Alexandra

Pop Alexandra New Member

The courses and free online material were enough with regards to exam preparation, but the books guarantee that you'll dive in-depth, so I wouldn't ignore them.