Finding the best location for I.T work

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Feb 18, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I was looking for research that would provide me with information on the I.T labour market in the UK, and I know of a good report but cannot remember it's title or location but it was very informative. Something along the lines of ICT Sector Skills report. It would provide numbers and % of I.T workers by job title and location.

So now I am limited to only relying on the quantity of advertised jobs, which is not a reliable indicator of the quantity of I.T jobs in an area, especially since career advisor's tell you to concentrate on the hidden job market, which is where jobs are not advertised but can mostly be filled/created by networking/contacting companies directly.

For my self, by best location for I.T work, I am only referring to where there are the most internal I.T Support jobs (non-customer based) and/or field based I.T Support jobs, which are also non-council or NHS.

Does anyone know of the report I am thinking of? it was available in PDF format and around 20 pages long.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I think you are looking for www.itjobswatch.co.uk

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

No that's not the one, but it is an important one.

I just found it, although they have not done a report for quite a while as the last one was Q1 2008.

It is by e-skills UK and is called the ICT Enquiry.

http://www.e-skills.com/Research-and-policy/ictinquiry/1057

Hmmm maybe Advantage West Midlands have a similar one too.

Ok I just read the report from e-skills uk and it's not as good as I thought. It was based on a survey of 2,000 employers and the data is from Q4 2007.

Highlights:
    - 37% of firms with vacancies for ICT staff were entry level. Among these employers 75% of all jobs are thought to be entry level.
    - not much difference by company size in terms of % of entry level vacancies (between 30-40% of vacancies)
    - 4/10 applicants for entry level jobs considered to have skills below those required
    - 4/10 applicants had skills above those required
    - Biggest skills gap was in medium companies (around 50-100 employees), then large, then small.
    - The larger the company, the larger the I.T skills gap of current employees.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)