Finding out info???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Jan 15, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, just a quickie..... how do you find out what your on-board sound card is??? and also,This computer is using a SiS 651C on board graphics unit...(which i prosume is intel).

I need to find out where to get the drivers for these as i need to do a format.

Thanks Guys

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

To find out what any of the hardware that is currently installed in your computer go to the device manager ( control panel > System) and see what it is listed as.

There are third party apps that you can download to tell you what you are running, but none come to mind at present. :oops:

For drivers you should try the manufacturers web site, of if you can't find anything on there try doing a google search for [instert model number here] Drivers.

If both your graphics and sound are onboard then you should be able to download them together when you download the MOBO drivers.

Depending on the age of the system that you are going to rebuild you may find that XP (I'm assuming that it's XP) already has drivers included for it. If not when you have rebuilt go to Windows Update and choose custom,there may well be updated drivers there.

8)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I also just thought, you could also go start > run > and type dxdiag which will pull up a list of what drivers and devices your system is currently running.

8)

4. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

SiS is not Intel! See http://www.sis.com/

Otherwise what the rest said about identifying stuff. But your motherboard handbook should have most info you need.

The best place for drivers for your motherboard (as that is really what you are talking about) is the CD that shipped with it. If you have no CD (why not? ask the retailer) then identify the exact model of motherboard and get the drivers from the manufacturers web-site.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

lspci -v will tell you the information on all your pci cards.

lsmod will show you all the loaded drivers.

lsusb -v will give you more information than you'll know what to do with on your usb devices.

cat /proc/ioports will tell you what ioports are being used and what they are being used for.

cat /proc/interrupts will tell you what irq's are being used and what is using them.

cat /proc/cpuinfo will tell you all about your cpu.

cat /proc/meminfo will tell you all about how the memory in your system is being used.

All you need to do is to install Linux to get the info.... :twisted: :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Cheeky! Very very cheeky Freddy! :biggrin

8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just giving alternative ways of getting information on PC hardware. :p

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

I quite like lavalys everest for giving a summary of system info.

The free version has been discontinued, but can still be downloaded here.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

And there is always Start > programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.

That will give you nearly as much info as installing Linux :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)