Finding it impossible to get a job.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Serenity, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Serenity

Serenity New Member

I've been unemployed the last 6 months, searching for a 1st line support role. However, I've had no luck at all. I have a couple of certifications (A+, MCITP) and a couple of relevant A-levels. But they appear to be completely useless, I've applied for every job which I'm either qualified/capable to do, with no avail. Out of the thousands of jobs applied, I've only had 1 interview, which was a group interview, and they didn't take me on because I looked nervous :rolleyes:.

I've tried rewriting my CV several times, tailored it to specific jobs, but with no success. I honestly don't know what to do anymore, seriously considering giving up in the IT industry and just getting a job as a laborer. I guess my question is, does anyone have any advice on where to take myself from here?

2. keconnect sparky

keconnect sparky Nibble Poster

Been there myself twice before, just gotta stick in there dude! the last time it took me 2 years to get back in IT! but i done it, i carried out studying, stayed positive and managed to grab my best job yet! now i work with cisco every day ... couldn't be happy!

You seem similar to me, for me things dont come easy, where as for some others they are just at the right place, right time ..

Moral of the story, u get what you want .... just depends how badly you want it!

Certifications: MCP, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA-S
    WIP: CCNP (ROUTE)
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

You have the ideal level of certification for a new starter so do no pursue any more studies until you land a role, which will happen, you just need your lucky break which we've all had.

Confidence sounds like the main issue here my friend. Think of it as a date, if you're not confident in yourself, then why would a partner be?

It is very difficult to break into IT but the fact that there are so many of us in it should reassure you that it can be done. Persist in your efforts and try to build up a little (NOT a lot) confidence, not in your IT skills, but in the fact that you are a bright young person who is willing to work very hard.

I know I don't know it all, but I'd challenge anyone to beat me in optimism, enthusiasm and all around general willing to succeed.

Best of luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell New Member

I've paid £50 to have my CV done by a professional. It worked well. Try it. You'll get many interviews. CV is how you present yourself.

5. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Group interviews make my blood boil.:x

If you're a bit reserved, a bit quiet, you lose out on a job to someone who may not even be a better candidate, they just gabble a bit more.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  6. FSZ

FSZ Bit Poster

Sometimes you just sit there for ever sending CV's and then when you get fed up a phone calls come out of the blue for a job you didnt even apply for....its a weird world

My advice, update CV stick it on many websites, CWjobs, Jobserve, Monster and the likes, get a linkedin profile make connections and wait. Above ALL Keep at it.

Certifications: Too many!!
    WIP: CCNP
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Bad market at the moment, global recession, chin up mate ! :D

8. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

That happened to me for a non-IT job, an agency hundreds of miles from where I live saw my CV and told me to turn up the next week for an interview.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, I would say take any job at the minute while you are looking for a job in IT. There's no point being unemployed for 6 months+ when you could have been developing your soft-skills (and networking with IT pros) in another job.

Like the others have said already, the market isn't that good at the minute, look at getting your CV updated professionally and keep on applying.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

Maybe you could try volunteering for a short period.

I know of people off of this forum who have started off volunteering and then were offered a permanent position. I myself applied to volunteer but while I was waiting to hear back from them I managed to land myself a full-time (paid) position.

I applied for the job having no experience and a few certs like you - you'll get one soon enough!

I'm about as shy as you can get, but when it comes to the interview - you've got to try and put the shyness aside.

When most people go for an interview, their friends would probably tell them they'll be fine, "just be yourself" - I told myself the opposite. I knew I wouldn't get the job being myself, so I thought of someone I know who is very lively and chatty and tried to imitate him.

Once your CV is spruced up, you should get a lot more interviews - this will be the time to shine!

Best of luck to you dude =)

(*edit* - took me 7 months but I did it! During that time I only got ONE interview (group interview :() and my 2nd interview was with my current employer)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Unfortunately its going to get worse rather then better in the short term (well one hopes its a short term)

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Are you writing a quality covering letter?

All CVs look the same, its a PDF with your name (they don't care), grades (most people have the same) and career history - which doesn't really matter for 1st line roles.

A covering letter will provide you with a foot in the door. Then you need to be confident as you're going to be dealing with customers/clients/employees over the phone/email/face-to-face.

If you can't confidently communicate with others, then you will struggle to find a place in First-Line Support.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  13. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I would advise you to get into a job asap whatever it is, it always looks better that you are working. I would advise you to try and get a customer service role, doesnt matter if you are dealing with the customers face to face or over the phone but it will get rid of them nerves and help you deal with customers of all different types.

Just keep on looking and put on a suit or similar and go out and about round agencies and big companies in your area asking for email address of hr or IT managers to send them to.

Good Luck

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  14. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Have you tried your local paper/echo? Job section weekly.

Gumtree...local agencys (go visit them at there place of work).

Post your cv on here and get people to look, you could also pay to get it done professionaly.

Get that first position somewhere and your foot is in the door. Look for low level support positions.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.