Finding a way in!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sibry, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sibry

sibry Bit Poster

Hello Everyone

I just thought i would start a thread that has more than likely been done to death :rolleyes: If it has i am sorry.

I will explain a bit of my background. For the best part of 15 years i have been interested in computers (From being given my 2nd hand ZX81!! :eek: ) I have been fixing and building computers for family and friends for ages, and enjoying it. Meanwhile i was drifting from job to job trying to find a direction. One day a couple of years ago someone said to me "Why don't you work with computers for a living?" My answer was "Ohhhh why not". So i went about looking for a way in but realising i needed some certs i went a bit cold on the subject and got on with life. Then last year i got ill and was diagnosed with diabetes :rolleyes: That saw me being signed off for a few months whilst adjusting to my medications (Problems with said meds caused more time off and led to being laid off). Whilst out of work I decided to do a cert and enrolled on a IT Career starter course through ICS. It is the compTIA A+ and N+ certs. I am flying through them with no real troubles and look forward to taking the exams. Recently my doctor gave me the go ahead to return to work. I have now been applying for al sorts of entry level IT roles. Without much luck. I will plug one though.

My main reason for starting this thread is to see if there are members in similar positions to me. My thought was that we could share thoughts, successes and hints and tips between each other, be it through this thread, emails, pm's or msn and the likes.

Would anyone else be interested?

Cheers

Simon

ps. Sorry for the long post :oops: lol

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ & N+
  2. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hey simon just a note to say, Very similar to my situation:), as is the illness part. Apart from replace the diabetes with epilepsy:blink and replace the zx81 with a c16 +4:p

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  3. sibry

sibry Bit Poster

LOL Thanks for the reply, It's nice to know that i am not the only one. Although deep down i knew i wasn't.

Good luck with starting your career. Have you anything of note to tell me?

I have been looking at volunteer work this evening although i am not too sure how many hours to pledge or infact what to do. :blink

I might call a few repair shops round here to see if i can go and spend some time learning some things :eyecrazy

Cheers

Simon

4. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Hi simon,

I'm similar also.

I first started when i was about 7, with my friends ZX80. Then immediately after i was onto my parents for a 16k Spectrum (ohh, those were the days!!) - I've upgraded with the times as well, been through just about every computer going at one point.

I have never managed to get envolved into the IT world until last year, when i realised that it was what i really wanted to do. Somehow i always seemed to be doing something else, i suppose you get stuck in a rut (thats how it felt anyway).

I was painting and decorating in the construction industry but i decided enough was enough and i conceived my plan. I was self employed which made it a bit easier, but i just packed it in. I enrolled into Advent on the MCSE track and decided that another full time job would hinder my progress, so - i started my own little business window cleaning. Turned out to be a great idea !

7 months later, i've got my A+ and MCP, MCDST should be completed (hopefully) by the end of Feb then its onto the 270 and beyond..

During this time, my little window cleaning business is growing rapidly - it produces a much higher than average income and the best thing is that it is extremely flexible, which allows me plenty of study time. The plan is, to get a job in IT once i've got my MCDST and sell my window cleaning round, which should pay for the Advent course ! cool.

Sorry to hear about your diabetes bud, but good luck for the future..

:D :D :D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  5. sibry

sibry Bit Poster

Hi Quarky

Thanks for your reply. It is a boost to know i am not the only one in this sort of position.

Have you been applying for any jobs whilst training or did you decide to wait until you had finished what you wanted to learn?

Do you have any details on the advent course?

Cheers Simon

6. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive thought about voluntary work myself, but havnt seen much advertised, and as you, ive wondered how much i should pledge etc, as i work and have a wedding to save up for

I was suppose to be getting a voluntary placement at the IT department of our store, but according to the new personnel manager, this might not happen.......which is shite, because it was one of the main reasons i have continued to stay in my job as long as i have:x ah well....

As for anything of note, just from my own personal experience, let EVERYONE around you know your studying A+, when they ask what it is, tell them, its amazing how much extra experience ive picked up through people at work asking me to fix this or that:biggrin

The only anjoying thing is when im trying to study at work, i get comments like "ooooo thats a big book, isnt it", "bet thats a bugger to carry about"...............and one person commented "that looks intelligent, im really surprised your studying that"

i couldnt decide if to be insulted or not..

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  7. sibry

sibry Bit Poster

Hi Colloghi

Thanks for the reply. I know exactly what you mean about "the big book" lol. I get comments all the time my favourite one being "I understand why you read that hear. It would be a bit deep for a bog book!":rolleyes:

I thought i might update how my job search is going on.

I have submitted many applications and have had two call backs and 2 emails :dry I would guess that the feedback be it good or bad to applications ratio for me is around 1/10 :( Its not good for confidence.

I am looking for volunteer work but it seems very rare. Unfortunately it looks like i will have to go back to what i was doing before i got sick (warehousing). Not something i wanted to do but i need to pay my mortgage.

One thing i have done is register on the PC home Help site as a member of the IT squad. My hope was that if i could find a decently paid part time job doing anything I could use my other time doing some PC repair work. That at least would be along the lines of the much vaunted "experience" all employers want.

One thing for sure is that i refuse to give up on my career path. I just hope i don't annoy the agencies with my constant applications lol

Does anyone have any inspirational stories or suggestions? 8)

Cheers

Simon

8. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

most jobs advertised get filled internally but they have to advertise them by law, dont worry if you dont always get a response. Online jobs seem to be about 80/20 ratio from what I have experience, 80% dont even exist and are just a cv fishing exercise for recruitment agencies

I am sure that you will land something eventually, aslong as you have the right attitude then you are well on your way there

Good Luck

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  9. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Hi Simon,

I decided when i started the course that i was going to get my A+, MCP then MCDST - then try and get a job in IT.

I'm under no illusions, i am not going to get the job that i want right away. I'm expecting and i will be happy with an entry level job, after all - i have no 'hands on' experience.

I'm hoping that this should be about the right time, i have a 'job guarantee' as part of my course with Advent and i'll be looking to get them on the case once i've got my MCDST cert (hopefully Tuesday). I reckon that once i've got my foot in the door, i can carry on studying the course which will make me MCSA,then MCSE - during this time i'll be gaining the 'hands on' experience that is so valuable. Hopefully, in a year or two i'll be in a position where (ideally) i am MCSE with two years experince - this will put me in a much stronger position.

Thats the plan anyway.

:D

10. sibry

sibry Bit Poster

Thanks for the info guys!

It is most helpful, realising that there are loads of people in my position is calming the nerves and with each day i apply for more jobs. Somebody will cave in and give me a job (although an interview would be a start lol).

All the best!

Simon

11. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Dont give up bud, keep plugging away - at the same time learn something new every day - you'll get there.

I've mashed my brain, got my 70-272 exam tomorrow - I only passed the 70-271 on the 15th of Jan. Didnt start studying the 272 until about the 20th when i got my materials.

So, i've crammed as much as possible into 2 weeks ! Not sure if it's the best way to go (Advent allocate 3 months for that part) - i've just done 14 hours solid revision before tomorrow and now i feel completely drained - better get some sleep.

Hope i don't regret doing it so quickly now. I'm scared. :cry:

12. sibry

sibry Bit Poster

First of all, Best of luck for the exam tomorrow :D

I am sure you will be fine 8)

As for me i will have to admit i get confused by the numbers people talk about i know they relate to exams but i have no ideas which ones lol

I am already thinking of my next step once i have done the A+ and N+. Then again i had better not run before i can walk lol I cant wait to get the first exam done :D I did a mock on one of the sites listed in another thread. I passed, i cant remember the score but i passed lol :rolleyes:

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good luck with the exams Mate, keep us posted on how it goes!

I guess only you can tell if your ready, one thing to remember is this is not a race. The certification route is a long journey, with lot's of obsticles, thankfully you have CF community here to point you in the right direction.

That also goes for Colloghi & sibry8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. FZ1

FZ1 New Member

My story is similar to yours but replace illness with the threat of redundancy. I don’t usually post here, but here goes.
    Around this time last year I realised that the company I was working for could very well go into liquidation, I was building a PC for a friend when he said why didn’t I do a course for building/repairing PC`s. I looked around and found that my local college did an A+ course so I enrolled and passed that by about August of last year.
    I then decided to do a study at home network+ course, well December 21st I we were all called into the office and made redundant on the spot! Needless to say my job hunting has taken the place of studying at the moment, but I was determined to get a job within IT.
    I asked for help with the writing with my CV at the job centre (I had never needed one before), they gave me an address of our local Learndirect centre, who when I walked in I was advised had just moved into new premises and had no computer network! Guess who became a volunteer? A little under 4 weeks and 20+ terminals later they are up and running, I can run cables wire RJ45 plugs etc (all good in helping with the network+) the centre manager has said to me that he wants me there full time but cant afford me yet!
    On Friday of last week I had a call from a company in London inviting me for a interview to work in a data centre as a trainee computer technician only on a months contract to see how things go, needless to say I jumped at the chance, I have just had a email asking what is the soonest date I can start!
    To say the least I’m over the moon, I spent in excess of 20 years in the same job with the same company (which I hated the job since pretty much day one).and I just keep asking myself why?
    So the reason of my posting is to say if you want something that badly you CAN do it, you just need to be focused and determined, and of course just a little bit of luck!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: Linux+
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate, always good to hear some success stories! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Cozzy

Cozzy New Member

Hello mate

I've just finished an interstive course and one of Advent's rivals - seriously considered going with them but decided that I needed to learn in a lab envirnoment rather than home study.

Anyhows, the firm I went with have a recruitment team who keep in contact with you throughout the course and are ready to start putting you forward for positions before you have enven finished. Due to their close relationships with some of the orgainisations you are considered when you might not have been otherwise.

In terms of my backround, I was made redundant in October and decided that due to my interest in computing a job in IT would suit me. I'm 29 and have never worked in an IT related job before, but have found that the A+ and Windows XP certificates (which I have gained) have helped me. I've only inteviewed at 1 place so for but am going back again next week to get the job ! (me being positive).

Perhaps speaking to IT recruiters will help you going forward. In addition I'm happy to provide you with the name of the people I'm with if you're keen - they're in central London.

Thanks and gl

C

Certifications: A+,70-290,70-270, CCNA
  17. sibry

sibry Bit Poster

I thought it was time for an update!

After months of applying for jobs and attending a few interviews i was having now luck. I was quickly losing heart and was considering returning to warehousing or similar. Then i got a call out of the blue from an agency that had seen my CV on www.Jobsite.co.uk After a chat i was offered a trial job for a help desk role. It seems that this firm trial people over a week and see if they have the right stuff. That is good news for me i am sure i can impress! :biggrin

If it doesn't work out i will be disappointed but i will have some experience albeit a small amount but experience is something my CV is lacking.

So right now i am chuffed and i start tomorrow!

Cheers for all the support in this thread

Simon

18. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Good luck :thumbleft .

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :beers2