Find and replacing symbols in Word

Discussion in 'Software' started by philbenson, Apr 5, 2006.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

The find and replace procedure in Word is usually pretty straight forward for normal text. However a colleague of mine has just handed me a document in which he wants to replace just over 400 instances of the square root symbol with the tick character from the Wingdings character set.

I've tried copying and pasting the sq root and tick symbols into the Find/Replace dialogue boxes but neither character displays correctly. Anyone got any ideas before I tell him he'll just have to go through the whole document manually one at a time? I'm using Office Pro 2003.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

copy and paste the square root symbol in the 'find what' field. then copy and paste the tick symbol in the 'replace with' field. now, click the 'more' button. amongst others a 'format' button will appear. click that one, and select 'font'. select the windings font. you will see the font: wingdings designation appear underneath the 'replace with' field.
    that should do it.

3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

many thanks, will give it a try shortly...

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  4. Janet-Ann

Janet-Ann New Member

I'm not the original poster with the question, but I had a similar situation with symbols and even as I knew about that "more button" I didn't even think to use it!

I was really struggling with searching and replacing symbols in Word 2003 -- because they need it formatted a certain way for publishing.

Delighted to find this expertise.

Thanks again,
    Janet-Ann

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Janet-Ann.

Unfortunately the human encyclopedia known as 'd-Faktor' no longer posts here. However, as you have joined up, it would be nice as it is customary to tell us a little bit about yourself and say hi, in the New Members Introduction Forum.

See you there!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)