Financial sector worst hit by IT skills shortage

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Financial sector worst hit by IT skills shortage

The financial services industry remains the most hampered by an IT skills shortage, according to the 2008 silicon.com Skills Survey.

More than half (54 per cent) of respondents who work in the FS vertical said their business has IT positions it is unable to fill - up from half of respondents in 2007. This compares to just over a third (38 per cent) of public sector organisations, and less than a third (32 per cent) of those in the retail sector.

The IT skills most in demand in the FS industry are (in order of most sought after first): programming languages, IT management and Linux. The most hankered-after non-IT skills are: knowledge of sector and project management, followed by leadership.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      I think the financial sector is possibly much like the legal sector (or, having said that, most sectors!)

Preference is to hire someone that has experience within the area - and once you're in, the experience is invaluable.

At the moment, I can't see myself working outside of the legal arena, with the pay and variety of challenges it provides.

Interesting linky Ken - thanks :)
    2. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      I was warned off the Financial Sector multiple times by many recruiters not so long ago, the sector has already made large numbers of people redundant and there will be many more to follow...

Its not a sector I would currently reccomend entering in general unless you have previous financial experience or a very good offer from a local firm.

To be honest I've not really witnessed a real IT shortage for years, there seems to be an abundance of people trying to get into IT, just look at these forums. There is a shortage of highly experienced professionals but this is no different to any other industry.