Finally they have listened

Discussion in 'Networks' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 2, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As you know I assisted the IT department at work in the migration of the network, however a few days later the IT guy installed an upgrade for our 'flight checking software' this software basically checks PDFs for bad or missing fonts and image issues.

Included in the upgrade was a utility that if the flight checking software hangs on a page or bombs out a page it restarts the system without any user intervention. But it hasn't worked correctly as it periodically hangs when there are no PDFs going through and when large numbers are going through.

I made IT aware of this and they said we will install the patch when it arrives, after two more days the same thing, no patch had arrived so I said this is slowing production down why don't you roll back to the previous version? They wouldn't have it because I'm not IT so my point doesn't count, I got my manager to tell them but still nothing.

Now I have just walked in and it seems that they have indeed last night (5 days after I said to them) that they have indeed went back to the previous version. Seems like my IT department are a bit lax sometimes.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Tell me about it, taken 3 months for IT to realise they put me in the wrong OU ! Meaning I can only access half the stuff I need, now I've found out why I need to wait a minimum of 10 days to get them to change it.

Nearly all their processes are designed to make raising an issue or changing something as tough as possible, while this might be a good defence against pointy headed bosses its pretty annoying when you do actually know what the issue is...

In development we often get asked to work day and night to fix issues, only to find out that some compliance bod wants to hold the change up for 4+ months... Again this would be ok if they knew what they were talking about, but these people often have no grasp of basic risk assessment.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I discovered late Wednesday that I can't even open (let alone accept) meeting invitations in my Lotus Notes client on my PC at work. A lot of my work is meeting driven so this is an important issue. I called the help desk (in another state) first thing Thursday and when the help desk guy couldn't fix it after about 30 minutes, he said he'd open a ticket and "research" the issue. As of close of business Friday, still no word back. I talked to our local IT guy and he says that for a business our size, the help desk isn't what it should be (snarl). :dry

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Seems to me that you should have a lead role in your IT department!

Well done mate!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I f**king hate Lotus Notes!!!! Ok fair enough, it is a job creation scheme in its self! But it really sucks!! Big time!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. greenbrucelee

I wish, cheers

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm drum_dude seems to have a point there! Why don't you apply for some work experience/job with them. After all you showed initiative in that migration. Have you approached the IT manager?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I guess it depends how difficult it was to roll back the software, your IT guys might have been holding off for the patch rather than rolling the whole thing back.

In saying that perhaps some testing of the upgrade could have been done first. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. greenbrucelee

I have tried before, but no luck I am hoping Becky who has just got married gets preggers and leaves so I can apply for her position or her hormones make her leave because she goes nuts when its her time of the month.

Thats what I said, why wasn't it tested?

10. Sparky

From what you have said you have been at the company a few years and the IT manager isn’t the easiest guy to get along with. Perhaps when you get the A+ it is time to make a fresh start at a new company working in IT. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

They don't want to seem less knowledgeable then you cause they're scared to lose their jobs:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. greenbrucelee

Hopefully, I intend to take both A+ exams before or the month my debts end, so I can apply like mad for positions.

I don't think its thats, I just think they don't want to know sometimes. One of the IT guys has said to me as soon as he gets home he doesn't even want to look at a computer untill the next day surely he is in the wrong job.

I love computers and could mess about with them all day long at work and at home.

13. Sparky

I know a few guys with that kinda attitude that work for another IT company that I have had the misfortune to cross paths with over the last year or so.

To be honest if the guy feels that way I wouldn’t think he would progress very far in IT. I would not imagine he could speak about IT with passion in an interview situation or put that little but extra in to get the job done. I don’t the whole story though; perhaps the guy is just fed up with his current job?

14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think what happens is that once some one stops loving what they do, they stop progressing because the enthusiasm is not there anymore. Employers can spot that. For that employee sooner or later is going to be doing another job. I think no matter what job you do if you love it you'll do well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Way to go GBL. At least your manager knows that you have the right stuff if he's also willing to go to them and put forward your ideas. It's nice to have that kind of support.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. greenbrucelee

Cheers Guys :)

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Actually there's a lot of people here including myself who have said that. Sometime you do get hacked off with them!! Staring at a computer screen all day, your eyes are tired and the job your are doing takes two steps back on one step forward, so you don't really achieve anything:( It is a pain.

I do cringe a bit when I am chilling out after a day's work in IT and one of my mates or neighbours phone's me and want's me to drop everything and go over to their house and fix the PC.:x:(

Maybe your IT dept is a bit fed up with looking at PC, after all you have got to have a rest otherwise you end looking like the Richmond the network guy from the IT Crowd.:biggrin

GBL - What if you got a phone call in the evening and someone wanted to talk to you about photocopies?? would you put the phone down?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  18. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have to disagree with you guys really (Apart from UCM to some extent).

First off, just because you dont deal with something when you go home, doesnt mean you cant/wont progress. I like to think im pretty good with programming, but the last thing i want to do when I go home in the evening after 7.5 hours staring at lines of code, is spend another 4 staring at lines of code. This is my job, and I love what I do, but that doesnt mean I want to do it every waking hour of the day.

Some people keep work and personal lives separate. When they go home, they want to relax their mind, turn off to the worries involved with their job. If I go home and spend another four hours programming, im not unwinding. not really. Personally, I hate people harassing me at home for help fixing their PC's, and I hate being pressured to use my spare time to program something. If/when I choose to do something computer related in my spare time (which I do do, just not programming really), it will be on my terms, in a manner that i find enjoyable and relaxing.

We here like to encourage a positive enthusiastic attitude to our chosen industry. We sometimes go as far as to say that you cant get anywhere in the industry unless you live and breathe it. I'm beginning to realise that that is just closed mindedness stubbornness on our part (and im guilty of it too). We dont want to admit that people who treat it as a job, and dont think much about it when they go home can amount to anything. But the reality of it is that if you are good at your job, you will progress, and if you are DAMN good at your job, you will be inundated with offers. You dont need to live and breathe it, we just hate that you dont.

If you utterly hate your job, then yes, you are likely in the wrong career (or at least job), and would likely find progression difficult, but dont mistake that for a minute with loving what you do, and just not wanting to do it outside of your working hours.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present