Finally passed CCNA.

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by albertc30, Jun 24, 2009.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.
    It is with great joy that I share the good knews with all of you out here.
    I had it scheduled for today, was a bit nervous but it went fine. Passed with 974 points which I think it is expected after re-siting it for the fourth time :oops:. I had failled it twice by 15 points.
    All that matters now it's that I got it so now is get a job.
    To BosonMichael and a word of advice for those going for CCNA. Even though I don't agree with BosonMichael about having experience with Cisco equipment, as Cisco asks for now experience for CCNA, I must say that in a way he's right, on the exams my weakest field was troubleshooting, and where can you get this kind of experience if not by hands on a day to day job.
    To all that had helped throughout this journey once again my sincere thanks and I'll be around looking forward to help and learn from all of you.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Major congrats mate! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Give that man a cigar, well done!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Well done man, must be hard without having Cisco gear around huh ?

Did you do any SIM LAB, if so which ones ?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then you misunderstand me, or you're not reading what I've said for the past few years. I don't at all think you need experience to pass the exam. It is entirely possible to pass the exam without ever having touched a Cisco router.

My point is THIS: although you can pass the CCNA without experience, the CCNA won't do you much good in the marketplace without experience.

Congrats on your pass.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. albertc30

Just packet tracer mate and I do have a cisco 1721 and a 2621but that is it no switches and the exam was full of questions related to vlans and switches, basicly troubleshooting vlans, trunking protocol and STP.

But in all fairnes it was quite easy given the fact that I had 4 attempts, you tend to get around your weak spots but I am still on the lookout for a cisco lab, at least 3 switches and 2 more routers to start with and then get around all the labs I have about anbd all I can get my hands on.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

7. albertc30

But in all fairness it is better then not having any certification.
    In this case my apologies and a big thank you for your EXSIM-MAX, it is worth every single penny.
    Thanks for the comment.

8. Sparky

Yup, the certification will be a help but in *many* cases when you work with Cisco kit it will be in quite complex network topologies. You will probably have to work with other products as well. For example the last Cisco project I worked on also had HP Procurve switches to configure and an ISA server, I dont have any certs for this kinda thing, just experience.

Major congrats on the pass, any plans after the A+?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. albertc30

was thinking about N+ but now that I have CCNA it doesn't really matter but maybe a microsoft one and defenly in two years time instead of recertify CCNA I'll just study for CCNP. Any microsoft course that you could advice?

10. Sparky

I would still go for the Network+, it should be fairly straight foward and does teach networking. As you have been focusing on the Cisco side of things it should balance things up.

For the MS point of view I would aim towards the MCSA as a long term goal.....

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. BosonMichael

No, not really. When applying for a non-Cisco job, an employer is likely to pass you over in favor of someone who is not likely to be as expensive (after all, they don't need a router admin, they need an entry-level tech or a desktop admin or a server admin) or someone who is not likely to leave soon for something better (after all, you're obviously interested in Cisco, which that job doesn't offer). So the CCNA can, in fact, make you look LESS attractive to employers, not MORE attractive.

But don't take my word for it. Ask Qs, or any of the other members on here who decided to take the CCNA off their CV because it wasn't useful to them in their job searches.

No apologies required - just trying to help you, man! :)

I appreciate the positive review, Albert. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. BosonMichael

I would disagree; the Network+ would be much more useful to you than the CCNA. And it would likely be a breeze after passing the CCNA.

Keep in mind that certification isn't designed so that you can learn new material... certification is designed to make you more attractive to employers. Thus, even if you don't learn much new stuff, the Network+ certification itself will get you noticed. And it's MUCH more relevant to your current skill level than the CCNA.

14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Let us know when (if) you get a job based on cisco kit.

Congrats, welcome to the club.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey, big congrats and well done ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)