(Finally) Passed 70-646 MCSA 2008R2! Which upgrade / next step?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by greenstarthree, May 3, 2017.

1. greenstarthree

greenstarthree Nibble Poster

Hey all,

Last week I finally passed the 70-646 to complete my MCSA cert in Server 2008 R2 (70-640, 70-642, 70-646).
    I'd passed the first two a couple of years back but after a couple of near misses on the 646 I was forced to take a break for personal reasons. Knuckled down this year though and managed to get it in the bag.

After a little bit of (well deserved?!) time off to focus on my actual job :lol:, I do plan to upgrade this to the newer OS, and as wondering if anyone sees any merit in doing both the 2012 upgrade and the 2016 upgrade, or just going straight for the 2016 and looking to the future?
    Would I be accurate in assuming the exam material is sort of 'cumulative', or would having individual MCSA certs specifically in each be of more worth on my transcript?

Also, while on break from the MCSA I briefly looked at the CompTIA certifications and it got me wondering if something non-vendor specific would be worth grabbing? Does anyone think getting the A+ for example would be of any merit? I sometimes wonder, once certified at MCSA level, if those would not particularly add anything?
    I'm based in the UK (not sure if relevant but the CompTIA website does seem very US-centric!)

Cheers all,
    Adam

Certifications: MCP, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCSA 70-646
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Personally I don't see much point in multiple MCSA style quals, but then i'm a developer so what do I know.

I'd consider moving into DevOps from operations support and learning the required skills for such roles.
    I'd look at things like Linux, Kubernetes, AWS, SQL, bash scripting/python.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I'm going to both agree and disagree with dmarsh on this one. DevOps is definitely the way to go if you want a job in 10 years time. On the other hand, getting mcsa 2012 allows you to get your MCSE in cloud platform and infrastructure, which can only help if you want to transition to a linux based cloud environment later on. I'm going for the 70-417 myself once I've sat 70-686 later this month.

Congrats and good luck.