Finally making the Jump

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Cookies81, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

hi all

I'm Stuart, am new to the Comptia circuit, am just starting the cirtification, self studying both the A+ and network + together. Have found this forum very helpful in the last 12 hours, and am grateful for the link i found on here to Professor Messer online video's, as i find that i retain information when seing something of a visual nature rather than myself reading.

Have been looking into this course for the last year and have finally had the kick up the back side to go ahead and start it, originally decided to use a home learning collage but the cost of £1800 made me think twice, so decided to self train myself, and hopefully with the help of my employers i can also get some hands on work aswell.

A bit about myself, am a massive Arsenal fan, please no coments on the weekends result at newcastle, as im getting it on a daily basis as thats where i now live. Lived in Newcastle for 8 years, been with my wife for 4 and a half years an got married last June, no children as yet.

I will end it there as I think I have written enough.

Look forward to chatting about the course and getting lots helpful study hints

kind regards

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+ and Network+
  2. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

welcome to CF mate.

Finally a decent newbie introduction! It beats the hell out of just "hello"!

I cant comment on the footie, not bein a footie fan, but regarding the A+ and Network+, you are at the right place.

I am part way through the latter myself, so feel free to ask whatever.
    And concerning HLC, close shave there. I squandered £1200 for their "services", but thats another issue!:cry:

Vast majority of bods on here have chosen the self-study route, and I think it implies a certain level of commitment to your goals, juggling work and study.

Declan

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  3. LiamTh0mas

LiamTh0mas Bit Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Full UK Driving License, 70-653 (configuring SBS 2008) 70-682 (Win 7 Upgrade)
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome Stuart :)

You'll find tons of stuff on here related to your study and if you do have questions, stick em on and people are always happy to help.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Stuart, I cant comment on the footy seen as we lost to Wolves::oops:

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  6. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

welcome to CF mate, i decided on self study once i found this forum as well. There is such a wealth of info here.

Also a huge gunners fan so big ups :D

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

thanks for the warm welcome,

have started watching Professor Messer Videos and am really impressed with them, having the visual aspect is helping out alot.

Have been having a look at the various roads i can go down after the Comptia courses and this is where im having problems deciding which way to go.

do i go down the CISCO route then onto the Microsoft cert's of just go straight to the Microsoft certs.

is there any particular route you have to stick to? or is it completely individual choice?

either way i can see that this forum is the best place i've been to help make that decision

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+ and Network+
  11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Personally, i'd go down the route of getting onto an MS cert, perhaps an MCITP exam on windows desktop admin 7 - 70-680 / 70-685 - but again, this can depend on your knowledge, after the A+ and N+ maybe - and you could perhaps go for one a bit higher.

Cisco is a good way, but only when you've got a bit of experience behind you. If i was you i think i'd probably go for the entry level microsoft cert's - go out and look for a job perhaps entry level, and then study for the CCENT, in the right helpdesk/1st line job you can get some access to cisco kit / configuartions (I did in my first helpdesk role, but never went down the cisco route)

This is probably the usual route, and perhaps the best route in terms of your progression - Cisco qualifications require hands on experience, you won't be able to walk straight into a job after getting the cert - they'll want that experience of working with the kit.

Of course you don't have to stick to anything, you can do it your own way whichever you like, but if you follow the majority and go the usual route, it'll pay off in the long run. I did the exact same, and from starting in Helpdesk, have been offered a job within Infrastructure support. I'd of never been able to get into this role without experience, so i,m now just working on my server 2008 exams :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud