Finally Joining the Future...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Well its renewal time for my O2 contract. I normally avoid complex phones, because I tend to just Phone/text.

However, I finally decided I would go for this. It arrived yesterday.

Apart from the pain of transferring my contacts from my old Nokia (grrr - had to do it manually), im reasonably impressed. The full qwerty keyboard is going to take some getting used to though.

I've got the phone hooked up to my wireless network, and all seems to be pretty good. Im just about to install Opera mini on it, as its supposed to be miles better than the BB Browser.

I'm going to have to nip into town in order to pick up a 3g compatible sim though, since mine is several years old. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any links for cool BB sites, and things you can do with them?

Oh, as part of my deal, they threw in a 3G USB Modem with 3GB monthly allowance, free for the duration of my contract. Not sure how much I'll make use of it, but its handy to have...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Fergal1982

Minor Update: I discovered that the European (multilanguage) firmware doesnt support Chinese characters. While its not totally the end of the world, I want it.

In the process of downloading the EastAsia firmware to enable this.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Nice device! Glad you didn't go for the rubbish BlackBerry Storm!

I've not followed the progress of the Bold as closely as I have other CrackBerry devices. I did hear a lot of folks complaining a while ago that the device would simply freeze for no reason. One guy I know got his a few months ago and showed me that it did indeed freeze at random intervals and would require a device reset.

Not wanting to piss on your chips or anything as it's still a cool device; I just hope they have rectified this issue!

Personally I have always been a fan of the Samsung Blackjack style devices so I do like the Samsung Propel. The iPhone too is a pricey device but just as capable.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

http://www.pinstack.com

5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Nice stylish phone.:biggrin

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Nice one Ferg, let me know what you think of it.

I have the Crackberry Curve - it's a nice solid device, though admittedly the only app I have on it is Twitterberry.

Having seen the Blackjack, I must say I prefer the BBerry interface. My favourite PDA was the Palm Treo 750 for ease of usage, but you had to restart it every day for any kind of stability and the battery life dropped off shockingly fast.

Will be interesting to see what the Bold is like :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've had this phone for a month now and its not froze once, only thing wrong is the GPS never finds any satellites but not sure if thats the device or my provider

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

CLICK!

Maybe the issue was fixed for the European launch? It's been available over here for some time now so maybe a firmware update has been released for the USA/Caribbean handsets by now. :hhhmmm

9. Fergal1982

I have that issue too. I was told that the following two conditions must be met for GPS to work

1) You must be outside
    2) It must be a clear day (read: perfect weather conditions).

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Im not massively bothered if it doesnt always work (would be nice though).

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My Gooseberry's a Bold - and I've had it since the day it was released (our company gets Gooseberrys the day they;re released as per the terms of our maintenance contract with Vodafone.)

its never frozen on me - not once. The battery life, however, is atrocious - two days on standby, less than a day if you make more than 20 minutes of calls, or do any more than the odd bit of browsing.

The Storm, on the other hand, is utter, utter pants.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

12. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I agree 1 million percent.

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - that's a lot!

See the Copa del Rey game in midweek? Bojan was awesome.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

[OT]
    Yep! Bojan is getting his mojo back at last!

Sucks Puyol the legend was taken off and is out for 10 days with a muscle tear though). Messi took a battering too, I think that teams now just want to injure him because they think that is the only way they can contain him. Failing that they stick 507 players on him at once which then leaves them wide open for anyone else in the team to score which is why Barcelona have score 750 million goals in 19 games!

When are other clubs going to realize that Lionel Messi simply can NOT be stopped. He is incredible and if he does't win the world player of the year next year I will eat my own head!
    [/OT]

15. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Have any of you guys used the Iphone at all? I was looking at it for my next phone and wondered how it would compare with the crackberrys.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A couple of guys in my work use iPhones and they rave about them. Supports Exchange sever as well so handy as a "work" phone and not just a toy.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

iPhone is definitely geared more toward the general consumer market, CrackBerry devices are most definitely aimed at the workforce. Though I have heard among the general vine of grape produce that the iPhone is making more of a dent in the business market.

The Storm (aka: the Passing Breeze because it's so pants) is definitely an attempt at capturing the general consumer market. If RIM want to do that they need to come up with a device better than the Brisk Wind or that God awful flip phone device they launched too. Take one part pants phone (the Pearl) make it a flip phone to attract 'stylish' people (aka: morons) and what do you get? Another phone that is absolute trousers! :ohmy

18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally use the Blackberry Curve 8320 which is the wifi version. At work for the IT team we get the 8320's. The curve is an amazing phone I got to admit. Like Zeb said the Bold on the other hand is a great phone but the battery dies too soon. Maybe they will improve it on the next version. The one that I am actually curious to try is the Curve 8900. Looks like the bold but has the curve feel in terms of roundness and is a little smaller then the bold.

Check out crackberrydotcom. I think they're one of the best blackberry sites out there.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  19. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have recently just upgraded my handset from a t-mobile vario 1 to a Nokia E71 and must say it's the best phone I've ever owned:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  20. kat40

kat40 Bit Poster

as a woman I shouldn't probably say this but I love that expression!:oops::D