Finally got it!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Gunner81, May 11, 2012.

1. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

I have finally got Helpdesk role and I start on monday! The only downside is that I would be getting access to AD after 3 months once I am made permanent. Before that they said its basically basic troubleshooting I would be doing. I would have to ask someone to do things for me if I need to use Active Directory...Once I'm permanent I would have access to that as well...I wonder how long I would have to do helpdesk before I can start applying for desktop support roles or if thats the path I would have to take if I want to in few years look for network engineer roles...?

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: Network+, MCITP
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Major congratulations:beers2

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
    Gunner81 likes this.
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Congrats mate, persistence is the key :)

Do you have any advice to give on how you found the job? Did you make multiple versions of your CV? Tailor it differently to each role? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated by our members.

Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I went from Helpdesk role to Operations Role, and now just moved to Networks role.

Not saying that is the route anyone else should take, but there are many routes i'm sure, the key is getting in the right company who will help you move into the new role.

Congrats on the new Role anyway! :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. Gunner81

Gunner81 Bit Poster

Thanks! :D

Before updating my cv I researched on what important skills the companies ask for, for helpdesk roles. I realized that apart from the technical knowledge they focus a lot on customer service skills. I highlighted all customer service skills i gained from my previous roles. I made a point that along with that I also had technical knowledge gained by my MCP and A+.

I always made sure I had a cover letter that was specifically designed for the job I was applying for. In it I explained that I have a virtual lab set up at home where I have a server installed and also several client virtual machines having xp. I guess it pretty much showed I also had some knowledge of VMWare.

I am currently working towards my MCTS in windows 7 so I made it a point to include that in my cover letter as well. I did change my cv at times to be more specific when I thought the generic cv would not be enough. I always had one original cv and one cv which I edited when needed. Once I started applying for the jobs the ones I was really interested in I followed up by calling the company or recruitment agency to check if they had seen my cv. That I think showed I was really keen for the role and to my surprise I started getting interviews.

My advise is to be persistent and be confident once you get a call from a company or an agency. It takes time, so be patient but keep applying. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: Network+, MCITP
    SiFor and jk2447 like this.
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on getting the job, and wish you look for your IT Career.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Thanks for sharing, congratz on getting and best of luck for the future. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
    Gunner81 likes this.
  8. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Congrats with landing the role. Some great tips included for people trying to get their CV out there. Good luck with the role.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
    Gunner81 likes this.
  9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Good luck today! 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
    Gunner81 likes this.
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the job. :thumbleft

haveanicecoldvb

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
    Gunner81 likes this.