Finally got an interview! Help!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Hilazing, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Hilazing

Hilazing Bit Poster

Hi Everyone,

After what seems like an eternity, and probably about 100 applications, I finally have an interview for a position in IT support.

Just looking for any advice anyone may have based on the job spec and competencies I have been sent.

The original job spec consisted of the below:

As a Service Desk Technical Analyst you will provide first line support to external customers of learndirect. You will have the aptitude to work with applications to undertake the analysis required to diagnose and resolve any issues at first point of contact.

Specific accountabilities will include:

· Receiving IT incidents and service requests from the customer and ensure they are logged and correctly classified in line with agreed timescales

· Answering the calls within the given timescales and manage the calls from beginning to end

· Escalating any IT incidents requiring further diagnosis to the correct support group and monitor the incidents or requests to the point of resolution

What skills are we looking for?

As the ideal candidate you will demonstrate a strong customer service background and orientation along with good verbal and written communication skills. You will be a self motivated achiever who gains satisfaction from delivering excellent customer service.

Then after a successful phone interview, I was sent the following along with my interview invitation:

The interview will last approximately 45 minutes and will consist of a range of competency based questions based on learndirect’s core behaviours.

The competencies are detailed below for your reference:

Developing Capability

Making an Impact

Adapting to Change

Customer Focus

Competitive Edge

Achieving Together

Large parts of that sounds like a load of waffle to me, so I was hoping people may have some pointers as to what I should prepare for the interview.

Thanks in advance

Certifications: MCTS 70-680
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Ok, so this is glaringly a "soft skills" interview (as you say "waffle")

Think about what those competencies mean, and what questions are likely to come up. So for example "adapting to change", a question there might be "Give an example of where you have had to assimilate information quickly and make a decision"

You will find that learndirect are a lot like this, where they talk a load of crap that doesn't make any direct point. After all, it's a training company. (I hold a learndirect award too)

Research the company too. You might find all this: "Developing Capability, Making an Impact, Adapting to Change, Customer Focus, Competitive Edge, Achieving Together" in their mission statement or ethos.

Hilazing likes this.
  3. Hilazing

Hilazing Bit Poster

Sorry for the late reply. For some reason my phone doesn't let me reply on this forum, and I've not been near my PC.

Thanks for the advice, I've been looking up all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff online based on their "competencies" and think I am about as prepared as I'll ever be!

The interview is this afternoon, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Certifications: MCTS 70-680
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Good luck!

5. jits2002

jits2002 New Member

Hi Hilazing

how did your interview go? I got one tomorrow.. what sort of questions they ask you?

Thanks

6. dynamitejo

dynamitejo New Member

hi
    Hey there, how did the interview go? What kinds of questions did they ask you?

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi this is a very old topic (Jan 14) and I don't think the member is active. You may run into many old posts just check the date at the top of the first post to determine how old it is and check the last post to see if the discussion is still active. Lets hope he got it and is now living a life of luxury lol!

Welcome to CF!